Turbocharger Maker Garrett Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
RoadandTrack.com: Turbocharger Maker Garrett Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection.

Garrett is a name known far and wide in the car industry. The Swiss-based company is famous for building some of the best turbochargers in the business, supplying countless automakers. The firm announced Monday it has voluntarily filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection to protect its long-term business sustainability, citing a downturn in sales thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The news comes less than two years after Garrett spun off from its former parent company Honeywell International. According to Benzinga, Garrett took on "significant liabilities" during the spinoff in the form of payments to victims of asbestos exposure that originated from Honeywell's Bendix division.

"Garrett’s fundamentals are strong, but the heavy debt load and liabilities the company inherited following the spin-off from Honeywell, compounded by the financial strains of COVID-19, have created a significant long-term burden on its business development," the company said in a statement.

In addition to the debt restructuring process, Garrett has agreed—pending regulatory approval—to be acquired by KPS Capital Partners, a private equity firm, for $2.1 billion. The company expects to operate normally throughout the transition, continuing to provide products to its customers and retain connections with its suppliers. Hopefully, it'll mean more big Garrett-branded turbo swaps for years to come.

Sounds like Honeywell/AlliedSignal/Bendix very effectively disposed of an ongoing liability, and then shafted the affected once the inevitable bankruptcy occurred. Brings to mind how the big corporations have so effectively dealt with their pension liabilities.

This is how the corporations are unloading their debt created some where else. Basically cooking their books!

Business is booming for turbo manufacturer's as seemingly every car maker is replacing larger N/A 4 and 6 cylinder engines with smaller turbo 4 cylinders. Can't see Garrett filing for chapter 11 without the Honeywell debt hanging around their head. The asbestos linked liabilities would trace back to Bendix who's only real link to Garrett was being under the same corporate umbrella for a number of years.

Sounds like Honeywell/AlliedSignal/Bendix very effectively disposed of an ongoing liability, and then shafted the affected once the inevitable bankruptcy occurred. Brings to mind how the big corporations have so effectively dealt with their pension liabilities.
This asbestos lawsuit thing has been going on for more than 30 years. Does there come a point when the harm is considered paid off? Apparently not when the government is involved.

We lost a lot of automotive plastic hauls because Honeywell sold off some of their production to BASF. Then BASF located to TX where there weren't unions and an abundance of cheap labor. Honeywell in Chester and Hopewell, VA is now named Advan6.

This asbestos lawsuit thing has been going on for more than 30 years. Does there come a point when the harm is considered paid off? Apparently not when the government is involved.
Compensation fund is still chock full of cash. Most people affected have sadly passed on and they and families have been compensated already.
Lawyers see the big cash cow still standing and are desperate to dip their bread in the gravy, never ending barrage of commercials for ''compensation you may be entitled to''.
Hey I've done brake jobs in the '70's maybe I'm entitled...

Last edited:
We lost a lot of automotive plastic hauls because Honeywell sold off some of their production to BASF. Then BASF located to TX where there weren't unions and an abundance of cheap labor. Honeywell in Chester and Hopewell, VA is now named Advan6.
Honeywell is somewhat of a ghost of its former self after the AlliedSignal purchase. The automotive business is now Garrett(except for brakes which MAT and Driv have rights to the Bendix and Jurid brands respectively). They spun off their non-fire/life safety and residential control businesses as Resideo. And I read about AdvanSix. The current Honeywell is focused on fluorochemicals, aviation, fire alarms and PPE/life safety.

Does this mean I can get a bunch of 3576r turbos for the cheap?

Compensation fund is still chock full of cash. Most people affected have sadly passed on and they and families have been compensated already.
Lawyers see the big cash cow still standing and are desperate to dip their bread in the gravy, never ending barrage of commercials for ''compensation you may be entitled to''.
Hey I've done brake jobs in the '70's maybe I'm entitled...
I saw a Popeye cartoon 50 years ago that had a reference to asbestos....

Back