Champion COS16 (RA closeout) Filter C&P 6500mi.

This is one of those RA closeout filters that made the rounds on the forum a while back. I had reservations in running it due to some pretty alarming quality issues I discovered when I cut open an unused one (see that thread here.) Another size I ordered (COS3593A) looked great when I cut it open. So I threw caution to the wind and ran it 6.5k to see how it fared.

Surprisingly, this one seemed to have reasonably decent construction and has nowhere near the amount of over-gluing that the last filter I cut open did. You can still spot some extra glue in places (shows up in one of the photos) but it's not hanging all over the place. Either that or they're at the bottom of the oil pan, I hope it's not the latter! Filter media seems somewhat thin as it's distorted in many places, but no tears or anything that would keep me from using it again. Still all in all, I'd consider it a lower tiered filter. I still have a few left and will probably use them on shorter OCIs.

Filter was PH16 size that came off my '07 Chrysler Pacifica. Used Rotella T5 (CK-4) 10w-30 during this OCI. Replaced with Fram Ultra XG16 and Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w-20.

Attachments

• IMG_2126.jpg
    IMG_2126.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2127.jpg
    IMG_2127.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2128.jpg
    IMG_2128.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2129.jpg
    IMG_2129.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2130.jpg
    IMG_2130.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2131.jpg
    IMG_2131.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Looks good. I run the COS3593A in my daily Elantra Beta II. Saw a recent youtube video of the COS3593A and was identical to the K&N Gold 3593A. Happy with them and absolutely none of the noises claimed by others on the Beta series'. Thanks for the C&P.

Looks good. I run the COS3593A in my daily Elantra Beta II. Saw a recent youtube video of the COS3593A and was identical to the K&N Gold 3593A. Happy with them and absolutely none of the noises claimed by others on the Beta series'. Thanks for the C&P.

I bought a bunch of the COS3593A as well and use them on my Maxima and Odyssey. The unused one I cut open was one of the nicest looking filters I've seen.

The COS16 on the other hand clearly isn't made by the same company. The construction was different, used different media, glue, different markings, etc. Usable filters, sure. But after seeing the quality issues when cutting a new one open, I won't be buying them again.

Back