Chainsaw - ceased/stuck chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy all,

going through my yearly small engine maintenance schedule. I topped up the chainsaw with bar oil and 2T 40:1 gas, started up like a champ, let it idle for a while, then gave it a little throttle which typically would have started to turn the chain, gave it a little more and it gave a 2T "under load" sound and then stalled if you gave it any more throttle.

Before I do anything else I thought I would give a shout out to BITOG and get my next best troubleshoot steps.

FYI, the last usage this chainsaw got was when I lent it to a neighbour a couple of months ago. Just got to checking it out and it appears it was returned without fuel or bar oil, chain slack and missing instructions. I think I'm going to stop lending my toys
grin.gif

Originally Posted by webfors
I think I'm going to stop lending my toys
grin.gif

I learned this lesson a long time ago.

Try to release the brake - if that's not it, take the side cover off.

Chain brake

or

somebody got it stuck in a really tight place

When this happened to me last month, I took everything apart and realized the bar had not been pinched. It was operator error with me forgetting how the chain brake worked.

Originally Posted by Warlord
I've learned that the quickest way to sour a friendship is to lend out 2 stroke ope.

...or any stroke ope (or hand tools, power tools, cars...)

Yep, never again on my small engines, or any mechanical asset. Last time I lent out my power washer it came back with a burnt out motor. They ran it without water attached until the motor died.

I bet it's the chain brake. Going to play with it tonight and report back.

Check to see if it's not the nose sprocket on the bar that's seized . They can easily get jammed up with a bit of wood .
If that's it, run the nose of the bar ( with chain on the saw and a bit of pressure,and engine off ) backwards and forwards along a round until it clears the jamb .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back