Chainsaw Carburetor

Poulan P3314 chainsaw carburetor. Will start but will not continue running. No previous problems. I always empty the fuel, and then start the engine and let it run till it is out of fuel when I am done using it. It always starts easily and runs well until it sat unused for 2 years. Had been using premixed fuel for several years. I am thinking the carb is some how gunked up. Thinking about flushing the carburetor using a syringe and Everclear.

I experience (or used to experience) running problems with my OPE. Every time I just go ahead and take things apart to clean the fuel system and carburetor. It's usually not that difficult and often cures the ills.

Poulan P3314 chainsaw carburetor. Will start but will not continue running. No previous problems. I always empty the fuel, and then start the engine and let it run till it is out of fuel when I am done using it. It always starts easily and runs well until it sat unused for 2 years. Had been using premixed fuel for several years. I am thinking the carb is some how gunked up. Thinking about flushing the carburetor using a syringe and Everclear.

Here is the deal with chainsaws that you run the fuel out of, they are hard to start when you add new fuel. There is a product called Mechanic In A Bottle, you can get it from Amazon or Home Depot, the stuff works,

If you get this thing going again get some of that trufuel if you will be letting it sit for awhile. I personally just go and start my saw up once every 2 weeks and let it run for a minute or so.

Check the fuel lines for cracks.

I have a Poulan hedge trimmer that would not rev up and wanted to die. I bought a new carb from EBay but in the meantime I adjusted the high and low speed mixture using the assortment of speciality carb adjustment tools I bought from EBay and it works, the trimmer now runs great. Now I have a spare new carb, oh well, it only cost about $13.00. I've used these carb adjustment tools on my other 2 cycle carbs also. Best cheap investment for adjusting 2 cycle carbs.

Most likely your carb needs rebuilding or replaced. The diaphram inside which pumps the fuel likely has stiffened up and doesn't do its job anymore. I doubt flushing is going to be a long term solution.

The diaphram inside which pumps the fuel likely has stiffened up
Yes this happens after several years, whether you drain the fuel or not, whether you use ethanol free or not. The symptom is you can get it to run by adjusting the mixture screws, but it won't stay in tune. Very frustrating even if it weren't a Poulan to begin with.

If it runs great for a minute then suddenly dies like someone turned the switch off, consider the spark plug and the ignition.

Yes this happens after several years, whether you drain the fuel or not, whether you use ethanol free or not. The symptom is you can get it to run by adjusting the mixture screws, but it won't stay in tune. Very frustrating even if it weren't a Poulan to begin with.

If it runs great for a minute then suddenly dies like someone turned the switch off, consider the spark plug and the ignition.
I forgot to add. I had a bad flywheel where the key slot got buggered up by the key. Threw the timing off enough to screw up the way it ran. Just another longshot.

I have had great luck by just pulling rhe carb, disassemble and ultrasonic clean it. Walbro, which had made the carbs for several of my ope have inexpensive rebuild kits. For example, the 30 year old Husqvarna string trimmer went from a pile of leaking fuel that could barely idle or rev to my go to trimmer.

Most likely your carb needs rebuilding or replaced. The diaphram inside which pumps the fuel likely has stiffened up and doesn't do its job anymore. I doubt flushing is going to be a long term solution.
Yep, I'd bet money that this is the issue. It should be fairly cheap to find a rebuild kit and replace the diaphragms.

Back