Chain lube ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my first chain driven motorcycle in 25 years and I'm confused about which lube to use. I see chain wax and lube and they are all "the best".
It is a 1200 street bike ridden in the southwest if that makes a difference.
Thanks for helping an old scooter bum.

After cleaning the chain I use 75w90 synthetic gear oil, applied lightly with a small paint brush to the inside face of the links. I then apply a light smear of moly past to the inside face of the links.

Cheap and very effective, absolutely no detectable wear on either sprocket in over 5,000 miles, so I expected to get 15,000 out of them (fingers crossed).

The chain will fling some of the lube onto the rear wheel. It stops after a couple of days at which time I spend 2-3 minutes cleaning it off the rim with spray engine degreaser and a rag. Not a big deal really, but I know the chain is properly lubricated.

If you don't have a m/c lift I must advise you consider getting one, makes cleaning and maintaining your bike a breeze.

I've been using a DuPont branded Teflon spray I bought at Lowe's. Works great. I usually get about 30-35,000 out of chains on my 750. PJ1 chain lubes are good too, and WD-40 seems to get used alot on the other MC boards I visit.

i use wd-40 or simple green to clean, then I used to use the Fuchs Silkolene chain lube but I have since switched to amsoil HDMP

Last edited by a moderator:
Chain lube is about as political as engine oil, I guess... Who knows
21.gif

FWIW, here's mine http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-cleaning-polish/motorex-chain-lube.htm
Doesn't fling at all, has a nice white waxy'ish appearance.

Kerosene clean/lube every 1,000 miles; lube only every 500.

A lot of guys at the various forums speak highly about that DuPont teflon stuff. Supposed to be a non-dust-magnet, which is a good thing.

Next bike will be belt or shaft-drive, fer shure!!

Last edited:
Well I didnt referrence a site sponsors page on here so that was my mistake. I need to get Gary's or Paul's home page.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/alisyn-synthetic/

This Alisyn stuff is what I have used for the last year and it seems to keep the chain very clean and friction free. You MUST wipe off the extra lube before you ride or it will fling all over, do that and it works very well. If you go to Lowe's and get Genie Garage Door Lube it is the same stuff in the same can.

The company that makes this stuff has some high-dollar motor oil that I may try at some time but for now I'll stick with dino in the bike.

I haven't driven in years, but application seemed to count more than product. Most seem to just spray something on a tight chain, which I'd do at a gas sttaion stop, but whwn possible I'd loosen the chain to check the chain and apply the lube. Once loose work each link back and forth to check for binding and to distribute some lube, and roll each roller to do the same. Gear oil worked great when checking the links and rollers but was messy, and I'd typically use a spray chain lube for a quick spray.

Used to use Amsoil HD Metal Protector.

Count me in the Dupont Mulit-Use Teflon camp now. Seems to accumulate less [censored] on the chain.

Schaeffer's Moly chain lube, o-ring chain, every 5-600 mi. 9400 miles on 06 Ninja 250. Have yet to tighten the chain for the first time. Gettin close though..

I've used Honda's pro chain lube in a spray can (for O ring chain's)for years. It doesn't fling ,and seems to protect well ,and the chain stays fairly clean.

Right now i use Maxima. I have used WD-40 before that and have 15k on one chain and 12k on my other. Just keep it clean. Most times i see lubed chained so gunked up that they collect dirt and that promotes wear.

The Dupont Teflon I sprayed on my chain about a month or so ago has turned white..Whats up with that? Its been getting cooler out here, temperature related?

Dunno, mine didn't do that and it's in the 30's here in the morning now. Brrrr...

On a street bike there are two issues. One, obviously, the quality of lubrication. The second is how much [censored] do you want flung on your wheel and engine cases? If you don't care about crud on your wheel and bike, lots of stuff will work fine. Thinner stuff needs to be applied more often and more crud flies off. That said....

You have fewer choices if you want to minimize fling off. I have tried several different commercial chain lubes, but my favorite is Maxima Chain wax. Two reason. 1.) I have had several bikes that I used it on and chain adjustments have been minimal. As far as I can tell it works very well. 2.) At the AMA Superbike races at Road America I was talking to the mechanics at the Keith Code Superbike school. These guys have to keep a lot of hard running sport bikes going. Needless to say, they don't want to have to jack with chain adjustments, etc. anymore than necessary; they have enough work to do. They also see a lot of bikes, relative to an individual. They have settled on Maxima Chain wax and (at least then) there was no sponsorship. They bought it because they felt it was the best. Who am I to argue with professional bike mechanics that keep a FLEET of sportbikes running at a track school??!

Like somebody said, you will get as much arguments on Chain lube as motor oil.....and like motor oil, for 95% of the people and in 95% of the applications, using a major brand oil and CHANGING it regularly is by far the most important. Ditto chain lube. The main point is to USE IT REGULARLY !

Because of the foregoing, I mostly use the Maxima Chain Wax, but I also use the Motul Road and Silkolene too....they all seem to do a good job....chain wax seems to be a little cleaner and I know it works, so it is my "favorite".

Dirt bikes are another matter....sticky lubes attract dirt....so the Honda HP lube and the DuPont teflon "stuff" are hard to beat.

Lube your chain when you FINISH riding and the chain is warmer. Also (and this is messy) turn the wheel and hold the side of your hand/fingers to slide the chain over your hand, thus causing the rollers to rotate. This helps work some lube in the roller-to-pin area. Lastly, if you will ride slow for several miles after an application of chain lube, it seems to reduce the [censored] on the wheel.

My experience over many years of bike riding is that a well maintained chain drive is hard to beat. Kind of messy, but the most mechanically efficient drive and extremely reliable. I have had far more problems with BMW shaft drive than I ever have with a chain.

Lastly, to start a Big argument on here: Avoid WD-40. It is NOT a good lubricant. It does "lubricate", but not nearly as effectively as myth has it, and especially for long term lubrication, especially under high loads like a bike chain. Put some in a 3 ball wear test vs. a chain lube and see what happens! WD-40 has its place in the world, but not as an extreme pressure lubricant. Obviously, WD-40 would be much better than a dry chain or no lube.

"....Your results may vary...."

Good luck.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back