Chain Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Close. Amsoil HDMP (Heavy duty metal protector)

I use the regular MP for penetration. Then wipe off excess and spray on the HDMP.

Thanks for the correction, sorry for the confusion.

It did not seem right when I typed it, I meant to look when I got home for possible correction

If I were you, I'd be looking at another chain. Something does not seem right. Are you sure the chain is the right size for the sprockets? I've got seven chain drive motorcycles and have many years experience with chain driven motorcycles. Never had a noisy chain that clattered. Does your chain make contact with a roller guide anywhere? Have you put the rear wheel off the ground and watch how the sprocket interfaces with the chain? I doubt you will be solving your problem by changing chain lubes.

As far as chain lube goes, I use a product made by Crown for outdoor industrial cable and chain lubrication. It's messy, ugly and sticks like gorilla snot. When sprayed on, it applies as a loose, foamy tacky brownish black liquid. After sitting over night, it becomes tacky and no longer drips. I use it primarily on my KLR650 which sees a fair amount of dirt etc.

The bike I was referring to is one I no longer have, but it was a brand new 2007 out of the crate from a Kawasaki dealer.

I can't hear the chain on the Ninja 650 I have now, but I was just looking for opinions on what's best to use.

Dupont Multi-Use

18,000+ miles on a 525 O-Ring Chain and climbing. This is on a Suzuki VStrom, Dual Purpose bike. It has had a lot of 80mph time on the interstate and a good bit of time, splashing through creeks, riding in the rain, and lugging over rough jeep trails....not to mention, loading it over 1.000 lbs and hauling the wife and luggage on weekend trips.

I have absolutely no doubt that this chain will last 20k+ miles, but due to some big rides this summer, I will probably replace shortly for peace of mind. (I don't want a broken chain on a trip 500 miles from home, on a Sunday.)

I am totally sold on Dupont Multi-Use. I spray the chain down liberally every 500 miles...and keep rolling. By the way, my sprockets look brand new as well.

Last edited:
Another vote for Dupont's Multi use. 13k on my VFR and the chain and spockets still look brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back