DuPont "Performance" as chain lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in a store and saw this product for the first time. Anyone have any experience on their motorcycle chain? Sounds so good I'm trying it on my bike chain. Seems to have dried up nicely and is kinda like those car waxes with polymers that leave your hands water-repellant. Says it's got moly and Teflon.

On the bottle: DuPont Performance Multi_Use Lubricrant - quote "A Better Way to Lubricate. No Oily or Greasy Film".

From the web site:
This is the very latest in lubricant technology from DuPont™. Performance Multi-Use Lubricant with Teflon is a water-repelling, three dimensional lubricant utilizing advanced DuPont™ Teflon® Fluoropolymer, organic molybdenum and a polymerized wax structure. Multi-Use goes on wet to deeply penetrate and loosen frozen or rusted parts. It sets up with a clean, dry, long-lasting film which will not attract dust, dirt or grime. Multi-Use features a new, patented "self-cleaning" technology. Treated parts stay clean, work better and last longer.

Up till now my preferred way of chain lube was to clean with a copius amounts of Silcone spay, dry off, then use Phil Wood & Co. Tenacious Oil. Makes the chain real quite and happy sounding. Used to use 30W motor oil on my previous O-ring chain that lasted until 28K. Current chain does not have O-rings.

Here are my observations.

Say the word Teflon, and get a dead silence on the forum.
wink.gif

Daily ride to work is 20 miles r/t. On the weekends lubed the chain. It definitely seems to do the job. Each application required 1/3 of the can. After the 2nd application the waxy buildup appeared on the rear sprocket which, I think, is a good thing. Seems to dry as claimed.

Still, I think wet lubes make a chain quieter. So you have a trade-off, wet lube and dirt, or dry and rattle. (I guess this only comes up in states like PA where there is no helmet law and you notice the noise. And, yes, I wear a helmet unless I am riding back from and sweating from a basketball game.)

I used Maxima Chain Wax before getting my Scottoiler. Worked as well as any I've used, and no mess. Since putting the Scottoiler on, 10k ago, I've not had to adjust the chain or lube it, just refilled the oiler once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back