Ceramic Coating review

I see now that the Ceramic offerings come at all prices with varied levels of price based warranty protection. Is there one product better than the others? Would they not all,if applied correctly, have the same longevity and performance? Is there a different level of prep at each price point??

Ceramic coatings contain SiO2, aka, silicon dioxide. Probably the easiest way to apply a ceramic is to use Griots Garage Ceramic 3 in 1 wax. It contains SiO2 and is stupidly fast. Spray on, wipe off with a microfiber. Lasts about a year on healthy paint.

The higher end products are very carefully applied by hand, with a sponge-like device, swipe by swipe. Some of these can be quite long lasting, and expensive. Some will even bead water quite nicely after a year. YouTube has some long term tests.

I avoid such long term and difficult to apply products. Sure, they bead water longer term, but the car still gets dirty, requires washing, and some form debris removal when tree sap, birds, sticky-dust or other stuff simply sticks to the paint. Which it will.

Grab Gyeon Can Coat and never look back. Doesn't get any easier, will last at least a year with hydrophobics that rival the best coating. It's an awesome product.

You literally spray it on a mf towel, wipe on and wipe off. Done.

I see most of the products need a wax free surface which is also decontaminated prior to use. That takes time if you have a vehicle that has had anything other than a Ceramic coat prior.

I wax my cars more than most, like to keep that just waxed look, not really into Ceramics although I do have some ceramic sprays, Meguiars , TW, tech 582 among others, my go to spray for that carnauba shine is Gold Class Premium Quik Wax. 🍻

1712252678137.jpg

Chevelle, I researched this quite a bit before deciding on a professional correction and ceramic. It was expensive, but I just didn’t trust myself with black paint on a GTO I cherish. I probably would have completed a DIY job on my white daily driver, or even used some sealants available. There are some amazing detail products otc.

I spoke within my cruising community on who did the best work, and looked at how the business was rated. I valued experience over any product brand at this point.

Maintenance and washing now is easy and an absolute joy. The coating makes the car look like it’s encased in glass, water beads and sheets off. Drying takes literally a few minutes. I could not be more satisfied.

IMG_5977.jpeg

IMG_5981.jpeg

IMG_5978.jpeg

Chevelle, I researched this quite a bit before deciding on a professional correction and ceramic. It was expensive, but I just didn’t trust myself with black paint on a GTO I cherish. I probably would have completed a DIY job on my white daily driver, or even used some sealants available. There are some amazing detail products otc.

I spoke within my cruising community on who did the best work, and looked at how the business was rated. I valued experience over any product brand at this point.

Maintenance and washing now is easy and an absolute joy. The coating makes the car look like it’s encased in glass, water beads and sheets off. Drying takes literally a few minutes. I could not be more satisfied.

View attachment 212330

View attachment 212331

View attachment 212332
I use a synthetic wax that last 6 months outside in Florida and looks better with a deeper look. That said it cost $20 and some elbow grease but way less than the prep needed for Ceramic!

I use a synthetic wax that last 6 months outside in Florida and looks better with a deeper look. That said it cost $20 and some elbow grease but way less than the prep needed for Ceramic!

I’m in WA State, rains a lot. I don’t drive that car except on nice days, but I’m to the point in my life I can splurge on things I want. The ceramic was def a want, not a need. I’m ok with it.

The paint needed a two step correction from years of neglect, and the coating has a 10 year warranty (I don’t think it will last that long). I paid to have it done in the Winter as I knew there would be discounts when business is down. I paid 900 for all. They measured paint thickness and documented for me, did the two step correction and sent videos during, then applied ceramic and let cure. The process was two days.

I’m not justifying the cost, as it’s subjective, but worth it to me. I think if one was skilled, they may be able to repeat the results I received with a diy.

I’m in WA State, rains a lot. I don’t drive that car except on nice days, but I’m to the point in my life I can splurge on things I want. The ceramic was def a want, not a need. I’m ok with it.

The paint needed a two step correction from years of neglect, and the coating has a 10 year warranty (I don’t think it will last that long). I paid to have it done in the Winter as I knew there would be discounts when business is down. I paid 900 for all. They measured paint thickness and documented for me, did the two step correction and sent videos during, then applied ceramic and let cure. The process was two days.

I’m not justifying the cost, as it’s subjective, but worth it to me. I think if one was skilled, they may be able to repeat the results I received.
If you are happy thats all that matters. Too much hype for Ceramics.

If you are happy thats all that matters. Too much hype for Ceramics.
I would recommend Gyeon Mohs Evo if you want a coating for protection. It’s not the most darkening or visually enhancing coating, but it is incredibly resistant to chemicals and clogs less easily than most coatings since it’s got a fluoro-modified resin. Many coatings don’t live up to the hype, but Mohs Evo does. It’s another level of durability and ease vs a wax that you have to keep reapplying. If you just want a wax, I would look into Infinity Wax Graphene Wax or their Supergloss+ spray for a spray wax. Incredible hydrophobics and look.

I see now that the Ceramic offerings come at all prices with varied levels of price based warranty protection. Is there one product better than the others? Would they not all,if applied correctly, have the same longevity and performance? Is there a different level of prep at each price point??
They're all different based on different manufacturers, different formulas, different market segment, etc. On one end of the spectrum is spray on and hose off, on the other is full paint correction and laborious hand-application and wipe off with IR curing.

I recommend paint correction no matter which route you go, unless you're just looking for a bit of paint protection, in which case the spray on/hose off is the most convenient. For that I'd recommend CarPro Hydr02 RTU.

For a few hundred dollars you can do it yourself. I went down this road during Covid, as I had the time to burn.

I'm partial to Griot's 3-in-1 Ceramix Spray Wax. Easy on and off, lasts a good long while and makes the shine look deep.

Back