Cell phone technology

This is all I care about:
1.) That the cell reception for voice is rock solid on highways and major roads should an emergency occur. In pennsylvania using verizon on interstate 80 there are several spots with 100% zero cell service. I find this unlawful and verizon should be fined daily until adequate boosters are installed. If you have any type of road side emergency, you will be walking or be dead.

2.) Whever tech they use as long as it works well. Whatever they have now is getting worse.
If you want that the only way to go is a satellite phone. Cell phone will never be the solution and it is too expensive for that kind of quality. 5G won't be any better.

verizon has excellent coverage as does att.. in the end i personally think att is more robust. verizon tends to flake out more. i am using visible runs on verizon was very touch and go on the same stretch of road my burner phone on red pocket gsma - att sim blipped once. as soon as i got svc it didn't go in and out the visible phone took close to 2 miles to regain solid signal

Visible tends to be hugely unreliable compared to actual Verizon. After your Visible call or data has been received by the radio at a Verizon tower it goes into a separate ground-based network, which is not reliable.

yes i am starting to agree that you may be correct.. i am waiting for my $100 e gift card then kicking rocks.. yesterday showed just how unreliable they are

any of y'all holding on to your CDMA phones for dear life... hopefully you never have to make a trip though our neighbors to the north... Canadian Cell providers went through with this shutdown back in '16...

In my area, Verizon is the only real option. My friends who live in the bigger cities, who are on T-Mo... basically just get coverage within a Corridor along the Various 4 lane blacktops.

Personally, my whole Family(myself, parents, brother, Sister, brother-in-law, nephew) are on Verizon Pre-paid. (not Visible)
I'm Currently on a $50/mo plan, with 15GB of Data.
after a couple Discounts:
$5/mo - Autopay
$10/mo - Loyalty
I'm paying $35/mo, plus $2.78 taxes and fees.
Actual payment $37.78
and I never get close to 15gb used.
when I first switched from Post pay to Prepay....I got a plan with the same network/same unlimited Talk/Txt, and the same I think it was 5GBa month as my old contract plan, for Literally half the cost.
I was paying $90/mo (+Tax/Fees) under contract, when it was up, switched to prepay, chose the $50/5GB plan, got $5/mo off for signing up for autopay,
ended up $45/mo(+Tax/Fees)

I've never looked back.
I've also learned that to the employees at the local Verizon Corp. store Pre-paid customers are the scum of the earth. They aren't there to actually help customers, unless that help somehow leads to a sale.

Last edited:
If you want that the only way to go is a satellite phone. Cell phone will never be the solution and it is too expensive for that kind of quality. 5G won't be any better.
Been using cell phones for 25 years, I honestly cant remember not having coverage for the last at least 5 years. We live in a more rural state on top of it.
From the oceans of coastal SC to the Smoky mountains of NC/TN ... call me crazy but I am pretty darn impressed that I have to REALLY struggle hard to remember if I ever didnt have coverage or internet on my cell phone.

First there are two kinds of Verizon stores, the corporate stores and the much more common "Authorized Resellers" which are third parties working strictly on commission (there is no commission for Prepaid). If you have a Verizon problem other than itching to buy the latest flagship phone, definitely go to a corporate store. Also Verizon Prepaid phones and service are sold box stores, and the customer service by phone or online is quite good. There is no need for the phone stores.

any of y'all holding on to your CDMA phones for dear life... hopefully you never have to make a trip though our neighbors to the north... Canadian Cell providers went through with this shutdown back in '16...

In my area, Verizon is the only real option. My friends who live in the bigger cities, who are on T-Mo... basically just get coverage within a Corridor along the Various 4 lane blacktops.

Personally, my whole Family(myself, parents, brother, Sister, brother-in-law, nephew) are on Verizon Pre-paid. (not Visible)
I'm Currently on a $50/mo plan, with 15GB of Data.
after a couple Discounts:
$5/mo - Autopay
$10/mo - Loyalty
I'm paying $35/mo, plus $2.78 taxes and fees.
Actual payment $37.78
and I never get close to 15gb used.
when I first switched from Post pay to Prepay....I got a plan with the same network/same unlimited Talk/Txt, and the same I think it was 5GBa month as my old contract plan, for Literally half the cost.
I was paying $90/mo (+Tax/Fees) under contract, when it was up, switched to prepay, chose the $50/5GB plan, got $5/mo off for signing up for autopay,
ended up $45/mo(+Tax/Fees)

I've never looked back.
I've also learned that to the employees at the local Verizon Corp. store Pre-paid customers are the scum of the earth. They aren't there to actually help customers, unless that help somehow leads to a sale.
I shut off the land line at my Canadian cottage in October 2015. For the amount we used it, it was cheaper to pay the roaming fees on our American Verizon cell phones. In May 2016 I discovered that the CDMA network was gone, and I got myself a nice new phone. The new phone was better than my previous phones in every way.

First there are two kinds of Verizon stores, the corporate stores and the much more common "Authorized Resellers" which are third parties working strictly on commission (there is no commission for Prepaid). If you have a Verizon problem other than itching to buy the latest flagship phone, definitely go to a corporate store. Also Verizon Prepaid phones and service are sold box stores, and the customer service by phone or online is quite good. There is no need for the phone stores.
I've only had bad service (both before and after going pre paid) at the corporate store near me.
Had nothing but stellar service at the "authorized retailers" in my area.

Back