Cell phone plan shopping

Currently three people share a family plan on Verizon, unlimited talk, text and 2GB shared data. $20 a line and net discounts the plan itself is $27. Verizon just added an add on fee to the plan - $12 - so total for 3 lines is $20+$20+$20+$27+$12 = $99 plus tax.

The $12 fee annoys me, which prompted me to look and see what else is out there. I gather the users can get away with more data for about the same money from something like Straight Talk (looks like north of $40) or Pageplus ($30 a line), but the data isn't needed. Seems like the old family plan construct is gone and replaced with a per line charge that changes depending on the number of lines for the big carrier (Verizon and AT&T) and unlimited data would only make a new plan more expensive anyway.

Started looking elsewhere like Mint Mobile which seems to be a savings but not sure they would be ready to make that jump.

Anyway - is there any setup with the big carriers or more well known carrier that is worth considering? Would prefer to stay with a carrier that leverages the Verizon network.

How much for unlimited? I ask because my family plan had the same thing, and I guess their was a promotion, so after the 12 dollar fee, unlimited was an extra 1 dollar a month. YMMV

You are not going to find anything substantially cheaper to make it worthwhile to switch-even with the $12.00/fee. You may get a one year promo cheaper-but nothing ongoing.

Remember-you will be throttled using a carrier that piggybacks on Verizon's network during peak usage.

Can't believe the $12.00 bothers you that much.

I'm ~4yrs in to my Cricket plan. 4 lines, unlimited everything for $100/month. The $100 is all-in. No additional amount for taxes, fees, etc.

I just upgraded my 3yr/old moto for a new moto g stylus. It was as simple as swapping my SIMM card over to the new phone.

How much for unlimited? I ask because my family plan had the same thing, and I guess their was a promotion, so after the 12 dollar fee, unlimited was an extra 1 dollar a month. YMMV
Interesting. I only priced as a new customer which looks like the cheapest was $40/month per line (given it was 3 lines). I'm not the primary on the account so hard to see if there are promos but I'll have to check that.

4 lines on total wireless which is verizon is sorta nice because you can have 2 people who use nothing and the other 2 have 50GB each.
unlimited is rarely unlimited full speed.

Google FI curently is 80$ for 4 lines unlimited and port in discounts on phones. Around here and my cabin it went from no go.. to competitive signal/speed.

Just noticed you have 3 lines. 3 lines would be $75 on google fi ($82 with taxes and fees)
and 84 on Total wireless(60GB data)

Redpocket is hard to beat on price if you dont need canada.
(single line ebay plans)

Last edited:
t-mobile essentials plan is 4 line unlimited talk, text, and data with at $105/month before taxes and fees w/ auto pay

If you are age 55+, military, or first responder you can get a discount on top of that.

Plus, they include basic netflix or will give you a credit towards a higher tier netflix plan.

t-mobile essentials plan is 4 line unlimited talk, text, and data with at $105/month before taxes and fees w/ auto pay

If you are age 55+, military, or first responder you can get a discount on top of that.

Plus, they include basic netflix or will give you a credit towards a higher tier netflix plan.
I received a text today that Apple TV is now available to me at no charge through TMobile. I have the Magenta Max plan though.

Total wireless uses the Verizon network, unlimited talk text and 60 Gb of shared data. 3 lines for $80.70 I have had them for a few years with almost no complaints

Can't believe the $12.00 bothers you that much.

Haha that's fair. I see the point of $12 x 12 months, $144, not that crazy, particularly for a plan structure that has been in place for years without any price change.

On the flip side, plan structure has been in place for years and there has never been a reason for a price increase, becomes the norm and it's $12 for nothing for the three users. It's also a ~34% price increase off the base plan. At least in the past when the cost has changed they've said, you're old plan is no longer available but we have this new shiny one that does more and is better for you, not even getting that here.

Honest answer is it is sort of a mixed bag. I've been saying that everyone on the plan could get more for the same dollars for going off a big carrier but there has been a comfort level with being a customer for years, coverage being good, etc. The plan users tend to just manage when they use their phone to not consume more than 2GB of data combined, guessing with more data available they would learn to use that data but have not wanted to pay for it in the past. The $12 just became a reason to go do a market check, similar to cable box and modem rental fees that increase over time. I'm sure Verizon has done the math to know that X% of people will just eat it or upgrade to a different plan and they are willing to lose those that walk - just burns me to be the person that is willing to eat it, even though it is not a lot of dollars.

Currently three people share a family plan on Verizon, unlimited talk, text and 2GB shared data. $20 a line and net discounts the plan itself is $27. Verizon just added an add on fee to the plan - $12 - so total for 3 lines is $20+$20+$20+$27+$12 = $99 plus tax.

The $12 fee annoys me, which prompted me to look and see what else is out there. I gather the users can get away with more data for about the same money from something like Straight Talk (looks like north of $40) or Pageplus ($30 a line), but the data isn't needed. Seems like the old family plan construct is gone and replaced with a per line charge that changes depending on the number of lines for the big carrier (Verizon and AT&T) and unlimited data would only make a new plan more expensive anyway.

Started looking elsewhere like Mint Mobile which seems to be a savings but not sure they would be ready to make that jump.

Anyway - is there any setup with the big carriers or more well known carrier that is worth considering? Would prefer to stay with a carrier that leverages the Verizon network.
I pay more than you for (three lines) unlimited everything with Consumer Cellular. Consider staying put.

Back