Celery for a Bloody Mary

I'm not really that into Bloody Marys although I'll ask for a can (without the vodka) on a plane. Occasionally I've gotten a full can but other times I just get it poured into a cup.

But at home maybe I'll buy some mix (can't make it myself worth anything) and I guess the celery is obligatory. I've seen some photos showing just a bare stick and it looked weird. I thought that it had to be with leaves, although only a little bit will be found in a typical celery bunch. The center will almost have lives but is usually too pale, and most bunches are lopped off. I've been to a specialty produce market where I bought long, untrimmed celery. It was literally 3 ft long.

I always wondered how bars do it. What would they do with all the celery that doesn't get used in Bloody Marys?

I've been wondering about that a lot lately myself. Maybe they serve the old flimsy celery with the leftover 40-year old pickled eggs with a beer for the Friday lunch special.

I have them throw the kitchen sink catcher into it. Hot bean, pepperoni, celery, and stick with olives. (Sorry, but this is in a Ceaser with Clamato juice.) When in Calgary, its a steak sandwich and two Ceasers for a business lunch.

Standard V8 juice already has celery in it, among other veggies. I wonder why they make a different mix for bloody marys?

I'm not really that into Bloody Marys although I'll ask for a can (without the vodka) on a plane. Occasionally I've gotten a full can but other times I just get it poured into a cup.

But at home maybe I'll buy some mix (can't make it myself worth anything) and I guess the celery is obligatory. I've seen some photos showing just a bare stick and it looked weird. I thought that it had to be with leaves, although only a little bit will be found in a typical celery bunch. The center will almost have lives but is usually too pale, and most bunches are lopped off. I've been to a specialty produce market where I bought long, untrimmed celery. It was literally 3 ft long.

I always wondered how bars do it. What would they do with all the celery that doesn't get used in Bloody Marys?
At a bar? Buffalo wings are normally served with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing.

The Celery is strictly a garnish…..So out by me, theirs a place that we go to for Sunday Brunch that serves their Bloody-Marys with a thick cut of spicy bacon 🥓 and a Shrimp 🍤. Perfect cure for a hangover……..Now THATS a Bloody-Mary!

I never worry about celery in mine. We have a local bartender that makes the best Bloody Mary's! So I started watching him to learn the recipe. Pretty easy, though I have not made any in years.

Tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, celery salt and pepper. Always asked it you wanted pickle juice, but I decline. Of course there is vodka in there as well.

I never worry about celery in mine. We have a local bartender that makes the best Bloody Mary's! So I started watching him to learn the recipe. Pretty easy, though I have not made any in years.

Tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, celery salt and pepper. Always asked it you wanted pickle juice, but I decline. Of course there is vodka in there as well.
Love the Pickle juice, but I would add a bit of horseradish, minced garlic and lemon juice…

I’ve been a bartender for 37 years. In my opinion, the best readily available premade bloody mary mix is Zing Zang. Add a dash of celery salt and a bit of unprepared horseradish and you’ll be in business. The celery is nothing more than a garnish

Back