CCW permit renewal

I need to renew or rather re apply for my NM CCL. I looked at it last week and I discovered it expired May of 2021.
I am glad I noticed and not some LE officer

I had a CC permit through my work as Fire Marshal. I retired in 2016 the same year WV did away with the requirement to have one so I just never kept up with it.

Check reciprocity for NH and Maine permits, even me being a Canadian and living in Canada I was able to legally get them. They may be worth getting.

Attachments

• 739FC955-8995-49CF-B629-E8CA6984FB31.jpeg
    739FC955-8995-49CF-B629-E8CA6984FB31.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 552E0404-2AC9-44F3-906A-4A73EA75F14B.jpeg
    552E0404-2AC9-44F3-906A-4A73EA75F14B.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 8
In PA you walk into the courthouse and depending how busy they are you walk out 1/2 hour later. Even if it is your first time. PA is great (surprisingly)

Not everywhere unfortunately. The sheriff is to use the instant background check system but has 45 days to complete an investigation on you if he wants. When I lived in Jefferson County it was pretty much instant renewal, don't know about initial permit since I got my first one around 1980 before instant anything, then we moved to Clearfield County and my next renewal took 45 days to receive just because the current sherriff could. Hope it's better now.

Here in Az you don't need a permit to carry concealed anywhere it's legal to do so. A CCW permit gets you reciprocity, instant gun purchasing, and maybe a little different attitude from LEOs.

And it's "may issue" meaning that there is no obligation to actually issue you one if they just don't feel like it. No reason for denial has to be given.
In light of the recent SCOTUS case NY Rifle & Pistol v Bruen, "may issue" and showing "proper cause" are unconstitutional (if you have to ask permission, and it can be denied without cause, then it's a privilege, not a right). NY, CA and other states will have to change to "shall issue" laws. They can set requirements like no criminal record, training, etc. but anyone who meets the requirements "shall" be issued a permit.

My CCW permit was set to expire 9/22/22 so I filled out the 6 pages of questions, signed and notarized 3 of the pages and hand delivered the papers to my county’s sheriffs office in early August, plenty of time…at least I thought, to get my renewal before it expired. Just got an email that my renewed permit will arrive in about 2 weeks, over 3 months after applying for the renewal. ...
Delays have been abused as a way to deny permits. This is why my home state of WA has a law requiring the state to process permits within 30 days. In WA state if you apply and don't hear back within 30 days then your dated proof of application is a license to carry. Every county knows this and makes sure to process permits within 30 days.

Here in Louisiana Honorably Discharged Veterans and active-duty military can carry CCW without taking any test or qualification.

In IL, we can do a shortened one day course instead of the two day CC course.
Shocked they made that concession to be honest.

Kansas, we do constitutional carry and shall issue. We have one of the best reciprocity with 37+ states.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arizona used to be very prompt with issuing CCW permits on time. Now I'm hearing that it takes forever. Many have been waiting so long their current license has expired. This almost happened to my renewal this last time.

It was getting near the deadline, so I called. I told the girl on the other end the situation, and she left the phone to go check on the progress of it. Almost 10 minutes went by, and I almost hung up.

She then came back and told me it would go out the next day, and I should have it 2 days after that. It came with just one day to spare before my current CCW was set to expire. Now I'm hearing it's taking months to get them.

What makes matters worse, is if you send it in too soon, they'll send it back. I had that happen to me. So the whole thing becomes a big Catch 22. You try to give them more time by renewing early..... Then they send it back. Typical government operation.

And with so many states now seeing the same thing happening, there are conspiracy theories flying everywhere.

Missouri is a "shall issue" state. Permits are issued by the local county Sheriff - good for five years. You call, or make an appointment online and then it takes less than ten minutes (and $50). I can see how individual counties may be different, but in our county it's quick and easy.

Texas is a constitutional carry state, but I still keep (and always will) my license to carry current.

Texas is a constitutional carry state, but I still keep (and always will) my license to carry current.
I'm the same way. A big benefit in Arizona, in having a CCW is it exempts you from a background check when you buy a firearm. A lot of the time the Instacheck System goes down. And it happens a lot on weekends when gun shows are going on.

It can delay a firearm purchase for hours. Not to mention a lot of eligible people can and do get rejected unjustly. And it can be a mess to straighten it out. A CCW prevents such headaches.

I've also heard that police, as well as some District Attorney's look a bit more favorably on you, if you're in possession of one, and are involved in a just shooting. They feel you, "went out of your way", to receive additional training by getting one. In spite of it not being required any longer to be able to carry a weapon for self defense.

Back