CCS vs. MRV?! how do you pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
have a look at these 3 dino oils (5w-30 API SM/ILSAC GF-4/ENERGY CONSERVING)

Valvoline l Mobil Super1000 l Pennzoil
cSt@100c: 10.78 l 10.7 l 10.5
CCS: 5541@-30c l 5200@-30c l 5800@-30c
MRV: 22,179@-35c l 18,500@-35c l 15,900@-35c
Flash Point: 220c l 214c l 216c
Pour Point: -36c l -33c l -39c

pennzoil has the best pour point and the best MRV but at the same time pennzoil has the highest CCS, how that come to be? .. when deciding which oil has the best flow/pumpability at cold temps do you look at the CCS or MRV? i always went with the CCS(cold crank simulator)... out of those dino oils, which would you recommend i go with for this winter (atlantic canada) where out temps can drop to -20c to -35c easily.

recommended oil vis for my 02 dodge caravan is 5w-30. trust me i would go synthetic PP 5w-30(CCS: 5200@-35c, MRV: 15700@-35c, pour point -45c) for this winter but im going to run auto rx so im going to put a dino in it instead. just trying to find the best dino to use for this winter.

Take the oil with the best three values :p .

Joke aside, I asked the same question about one month ago (do a search with CCS or MRV, you should find it).

Every oil is a compromise of what the manufacturer/blender wants to achieve.
You have the choice of oils, so choose what characteristics are important for you and go with the correspondent oil.

Did you keep your car in a garage or do you have a blockheater? Then the pour point may not be that important compare to the CCS and MRV.

You can do a scientific study, calculating the deltas... or do a rough two out of three, whichever fits you but you will always end up by choosing with your gusts, anyway.

Any one of them will be good. Which one will be the best? I don't know, you will have to try all of them (Is that helpful or what?
wink.gif
).

Question: How come all the oil companies list all these specs but Mobil 1 only puts down "some" specs and its not 100% consistant either, as it sometimes it leaves stuff out?

I've been down the same road. In general, the mobil 1000 looks like it doesnt perfrom quite as well as the others in cold temps. I'm sure its fine, I just find it funny that it states, designed for the canadian climate, and its got the worst cold pour out of all 5w20s, and most 5w30's. I tend to pay more attention to cold pour points. I find thats where the majority of difference is between dino and synthetics, so I look for a the lowest cold pour in a dino. Pennzoil has one of the best cold pour points for a dino at -39. Also, if you can get petro canada in your area, it seems to be great as well.

IIRC MRV is the better number (much better), as it more realistically simulates actual engine startup, so I would ignore the CCS and go with the Pennzoil in this case. Also ignore pour point. MRV is all you need to look at for cold starting IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Question: How come all the oil companies list all these specs but Mobil 1 only puts down "some" specs and its not 100% consistant either, as it sometimes it leaves stuff out?

I was thinking about the same issue the other day. Was thinking about starting a thread but thought it would be a waste of time. I hate the fact that Mobil does this. They don't provide CSS and MRV data for most of the M1 oils. And I have yet to see NOACK data in M1's PDS. All of their leading competitors (Amsoil, Pennzoil, and Valvoline) provide this data with consistency for their entire line of oils. Its not like NOACK data is proprietary information.

How can they call themselves the "leading" synthetic oil producer? When their competitors have them beat in terms of providing technical data about their oils to their customers.

Last edited:
@Pesca
the car is kept outside, not in a garage, i believe my vehicle does have a block heater, i just purchase the can in jan an di didnt use the block heater last winter, i notice this summer the "extension cord" when i futher looked under the hood LoL.

@ryan2022
i couldnt agree more, i hate how it says made for canadian temps also yet the numbers are not that impressive.. so to me it sounds like just a marketing hype/scam..

@TallPaul
i kinda thought the MRV was the better number to go by aswell, thanks!

Originally Posted By: bruce381
but whichever one is on sale and forget about the minor details
or go to a 5/30
True, but then what will we have to obsess about here at BITOG?
grin2.gif

@ryan2022
i couldnt agree more, i hate how it says made for canadian temps also yet the numbers are not that impressive.. so to me it sounds like just a marketing hype/scam..

Yep, if it was truly "engineered for use in Canada" It would pour at -50 for the north, handle stop and go in T.O., and contain an additive to maintain your suspension alignement after a season of dealing with construction zones and broken pavement!

or go to a 5/30

blah, all those oils are within $1 and less of each other, so price isnt a issue. i rather get something slighty better then saving a mere $0.39 cents.. now if the oils where $2 difference.. then yes, i wouldnt have posted this. but the pen, val and that stupid mobil s1000 all cost pretty much the same. but i think im going to go with the yellow :)

Originally Posted By: eddiedz
or go to a 5/30

blah, all those oils are within $1 and less of each other, so price isnt a issue. i rather get something slighty better then saving a mere $0.39 cents.. now if the oils where $2 difference.. then yes, i wouldnt have posted this. but the pen, val and that stupid mobil s1000 all cost pretty much the same. but i think im going to go with the yellow :)

I knew you would get the YB. You made the right choice.
grin2.gif

The cold start differences were probably minimal. But YB has the best add pack of those 3 oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
Originally Posted By: eddiedz
or go to a 5/30

I knew you would get the YB. You made the right choice.
grin2.gif

The cold start differences were probably minimal. But YB has the best add pack of those 3 oils.

LoL .. what do you mean by it has the best "add pack" .. you refering to packageing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back