CB200 barn find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I found a 1975 Honda CB200 barn find. The owner told me he simply shut the engine off 10 years ago, and my assumption is, all the fuel is sludged up. So here is what I will do.
1) have the carbs rebuilt
2) have the tank flushed and well as a rust remover
3) new tires
4) new chain
5) new clutch
6) spark plugs
Do any of you know much about these bikes, what else should I look for?

And since this is an oil website, what oil would you run?

photo DSC_0016_01_zpsfd5c7ab2.jpg

photo DSC_0012_01_zps89e0046f.jpg

photo DSC_0031_zpsc8e33bdd.jpg

photo DSC_0027_zps41457cbb.jpg

Looks like a nice find.

DSC_0016_01_zpsfd5c7ab2.jpg

DSC_0012_01_zps89e0046f.jpg

DSC_0031_zpsc8e33bdd.jpg

DSC_0027_zps41457cbb.jpg

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
Hi, I found a 1975 Honda CB200 barn find. The owner told me he simply shut the engine off 10 years ago, and my assumption is, all the fuel is sludged up. So here is what I will do.
1) have the carbs rebuilt
2) have the tank flushed and well as a rust remover
3) new tires
4) new chain
5) new clutch
6) spark plugs
Do any of you know much about these bikes, what else should I look for?

And since this is an oil website, what oil would you run?

photo DSC_0016_01_zpsfd5c7ab2.jpg

photo DSC_0012_01_zps89e0046f.jpg

photo DSC_0031_zpsc8e33bdd.jpg

photo DSC_0027_zps41457cbb.jpg

ohh that DT125, I got one for my birthday, same color and year. I LOVED that bike. Want to sell it? I'm in Illinois.

Here is the story with the DT. I was on my way home, and a car pulled out in front of me, I swerved and the motorcycle behind me crashed into me. Believe it or not, the photo you are looking at is (after the crash) It needs new front forks, and new turn signals as well as a new transmission casing. The engine is still sound with 4000 miles on it, honestly the smoothest 2 stroke I've felt. I've been trying to sell it, but the insurance has been delaying on me, and the papers are not finished yet (I haven't even got a check yet since the crash last June). When everything is finished, I will put it up for sale.

Is that a 125 or a 175. I have the exact same bike, same everything. Its a 1981 Yamaha DT175. I love that bike. I ride it more than the KLR650, I have. Its just plain a fun bike. My wife hates it due to the brakes. Drum brakes just dont stop like disks. That CB looks like it needs minimal restoration. I think you could get away with a carb clean, oil change and see how it runs.

79Sunrunner: how many miles on it? Before you spend money on tires and chain, have the carb and tank done to see if/how it runs. Chances are the clutch is ok and chances are it will run fine, assuming theres been no mechanical issues before it was put away.
The clutch cable may be dry and hard to work as will the throttle cable. Lube those if you can get some oil down them.

As to motor oil, any 10-40 brand will be fine for that vintage. Back in those days there were no such thing as "motorcycle oils" to speak of so no need to spend big bucks on spciality oil. If you want a motorcycle oil, most auto stores stock Valvoline cycle oil in 10-40. Use dino, not syn.

Thanks for the info, if I remember correctly it has 4000 miles. I am having the tank cleaned at the moment, and the carve are next.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Is that a 125 or a 175. I have the exact same bike, same everything. Its a 1981 Yamaha DT175. I love that bike. I ride it more than the KLR650, I have. Its just plain a fun bike. My wife hates it due to the brakes. Drum brakes just dont stop like disks. That CB looks like it needs minimal restoration. I think you could get away with a carb clean, oil change and see how it runs.

The dt is a 125 with 4000 miles. It was my daily rider to high school last summer. I agree the vintage bikes are a blast compared to the modern ones, but I am planning on getting a klr650 this summer, are they worth buying new or am I better off with a newer used one? And what are command issues with it if there are any?

I love it.

Much better than what it became as the Twinstar with just a simple speedometer and drum front brake. (they did the same thing to my CB125S)

The only things I can think of wrong with the KLR650 is that original owners don't give them up until they are 40,000 mi + and they fabricate all sorts of weird storage solutions to them. Military ammo cans and racks tacked on...etc...

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

The dt is a 125 with 4000 miles. It was my daily rider to high school last summer. I agree the vintage bikes are a blast compared to the modern ones, but I am planning on getting a klr650 this summer, are they worth buying new or am I better off with a newer used one? And what are command issues with it if there are any?

Nice find!

KLR's are great and will run for a long time if you address the "doohickey". Google it if you don't know what it is. I would opt for a used one since new KLR's sell for nearly $6000 and a low mileage used one will often sell for less than half of that.

I bought my 2006 KLR with 7k miles for $2500.
Bike%20012-L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back