cause of uneven tread wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Subaru with 90k miles with Michelin Pilot Exaltos A/S tires. The tires have 51k miles on them and were rotated once at 20k. All 4 tires are just about worn out on the outside edge while the rest of the tires have a fair amount of tread remaining. I have never had a wheel alignment done on the car. In general, I keep the tires inflated about 1 to 3 psi over the recommended amount and have consistently checked pressure on a monthly basis. Would a wheel alignment solve this or can it be something else that needs looking into?

Get a free alignment check somewhere, and also have them take a look at the tie rod ends.

My roommate just had to replace both tie rod ends to fix this exact problem.

Originally Posted By: Joe1

I have a Subaru with 90k miles with Michelin Pilot Exaltos A/S tires. The tires have 51k miles on them and were rotated once at 20k. All 4 tires are just about worn out on the outside edge while the rest of the tires have a fair amount of tread remaining. I have never had a wheel alignment done on the car. In general, I keep the tires inflated about 1 to 3 psi over the recommended amount and have consistently checked pressure on a monthly basis. Would a wheel alignment solve this or can it be something else that needs looking into?

If I was you I would flip the tires inside out (dismount the tires, turn the tires upside down, remount the tires then balance) around 10-15k miles ago. Flipping the tires and keep pressure about 4-6 PSI above the placard, the tread will wear out evenly.

It's too late to flip the tires now. When you put on new tires, you need to 4-wheel alignment with minimum camber and minimum toe out.

Would a wheel alignment solve this or can it be something else that needs looking into?

I would start with the alignment.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

If I was you I would flip the tires inside out (dismount the tires, turn the tires upside down, remount the tires then balance) around 10-15k miles ago. Flipping the tires and keep pressure about 4-6 PSI above the placard, the tread will wear out evenly.

It's too late to flip the tires now. When you put on new tires, you need to 4-wheel alignment with minimum camber and minimum toe out.

The Pilot Exalto A/S is a uni-directional design, so he'd need to swap the tires from one side to the other. All-in-all, I'd say the treadwear is remarkable, as is. The tires have a 45K treadwear warranty and he's already got 51K out of them.

That said, I'd say that there is either an alignment issue or the tires have been subjected to harder cornering than the tire design is intended for.

Originally Posted By: rshunter

The Pilot Exalto A/S is a uni-directional design, so he'd need to swap the tires from one side to the other. All-in-all, I'd say the tread wear is remarkable, as is. The tires have a 45K tread wear warranty and he's already got 51K out of them.

That said, I'd say that there is either an alignment issue or the tires have been subjected to harder cornering than the tire design is intended for.

I flipped 4 uni-directional tires on my E430 more than once (different set of tires) the last 5-6 years. I also flipped the uni-directional tires on my S2000 too.

After flipping, the tires were on the right would be mounted to the left and left to right.

I agreed that 51k miles for high performance tires such as Pilot Exalto is excellent, but he can get more out the the set if he flipped it once at the mid-life of the tires. The question is, does the cost of $10-15 to flip and balance a tire to extend the life about 5-10k miles is worth the money ?

Originally Posted By: rshunter

Although my driving style is conservative, I have a propensity for cornering hard on highway on and off ramps. Maybe that is the reason :) Anyways, I am very satisfied that the tires have lasted for 51k. I'll take it easy with the next set of tires when cornering.

Last edited:
Although my driving style is conservative, I have a propensity for cornering hard on highway on and off ramps. Maybe that is the reason :) Anyways, I am very satisfied that the tires have lasted for 51k. I'll take it easy with the next set of tires when cornering.

I think it has more to do with the car's suspension geometry design. Some cars will wear the outer edge more than the inner and some will wear the inner more than the outer. All you can do is to flip it inside out to balance out the wear.

Outside wear indicates positive camber. Consult the service manual to see if that's normal for your car, but since all 4 wore the same way, I have a hunch it's normal.

Toe would not cause the outside tread to wear faster as someone suggested

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back