Catch of the day

JHZR2

Staff member
Was out on a boat for the better part of the day. Managed to get a dolphin (fish, some call it Mahi Mahi), which wwe cut up and cooked as finger food for a very informal "pick at it" kind of snack for a tired group. It was an 8ish pound dolphin. Cut the head off, it will be given to someone to make stew. Cut it up, removed skin, kept the roe. Seasoned with a bunch of our favorite spices after coating in olive oil: Coated a CI pan in salt and preheated, then cooked: Cooked to the point where bending it with a fork made it flake apart. It was absolutely tender, moist and wonderful. Made plenty which we picked at... Delicious! We had some homemade beans, really take any baked beans recipe and add extra pineapple, cinnamon and rum, cook low and slow overnight or longer, then cool to let flavors combine. The roe came out good cooked the same way:

Wow! Took my breath away. Nice clear photos with good light too. Is it a wild fish? Never thought New Jersey that way. Thanks for sharing.

Nice! looks almost like a blackened seasoning, just not as seared. Looks perfectly cooked.

Last edited:
Nice looking little schoolie female Dolphin(Mahi, Dorado).. One of the best eating fish out there. Glad to see you ate the Roe, a delicacy in most parts of the world.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Mahi isn't one of my faves, but that roe looks really interesting (good).
I have never eaten roe. Whats it like?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: bvance554
Mahi isn't one of my faves, but that roe looks really interesting (good).
I have never eaten roe. Whats it like?
The best part of a female fish is Roe, then the meat under the chin.

JHZR2

Staff member
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
then the meat under the chin.
Ill have to remember that for last time...