Catch Can Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So im going to install a catch can on my VW ABA [dont try to talk me out of it.]

However what i am confused about.... am i supposed to run emmision hose out from the block breather hole [the one that goes from the black to the crank case breater] to the catch can THEN to the crank case breather?

Heres a really ugly example but note the hose routing.
DSC02524.jpg

Or am i suppose to unhook the intake from the PCV, route it to the catch can then route a hose from the can to the intake?

Heres another REALLY ugly example.

SUC50081.jpg

The first option makes more sense to me. Especially since a few companies sell 'adapters' that plug into the block breather hole. But, when searching on the whoretex the few 2.0 catch can set ups i find have it working the other way. which seems stupid since the 'gunk' is still going to foul up the crankcase breather. Which is what im battling now with it set up OEM.

PS... is the adapter even necessary? I have Bulk PCV tubing running out of the block to the breather just fine [i think. it might not have a 'proper' seal?]

Adapter

Heres the cans im deciding to go with...
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/categories/products/catchcans.html

I dont really want to spend 200+. But the dipstick and being able to clean the filter bits is nice.

Last edited:
I think its a great idea, but like you, I don't want to spend much on such a simple idea. I've seen good results with air compressor oil separators, which are pretty cheap. That's probably the route I'll take. Whatever you choose, be sure you use hoses rated for oil use.

normally you would have your your pcv hose, or somtimes a crank case hose or sometimes both (depending on engine setup) running from the engine to the intake and put your catch can in between. The idea is to catch oil vapor which on its way from the engine crank case to the intake through vacuum

Last edited:
Most cars have an inlet with a breather on a valve cover, then the air/oil/blowby goes through the engine, to a separator, then the PCV Valve, then through a hose to the intake [where vacuum and thus flow are supplied].

German cars often use odd systems. I am not sure of yours.
but if you can put the CC in line from the engine to the manifold, you should be in good shape.

well.... with further thought..... It appears and sounds over kill, but to have 2 catch cans on my system.

On my engine, the pcv hose comes from the block and goes to the pcv valve which sits on top of the crank case. The valve also has an outlet to the intake. So if i dont want that garbage returned to the valve i have to but a can between that stage. Then if i dont want the crank case to throw [censored] at the intake i have to put one there.

The whole reason i want to do this catchcan is due to having oily residue in my intake and the valve its self is gummed up from residue coming from the block.

Heres my PCV/Crankcase valve. The barbs that form the triangle one comes from the black and ones goes to the intake. The barb coming out of the bottom attaches to the crankcase.

037129101r.jpg

Newer FSI and the VR6 engines dont rout the block hose to the pcv valve itsself. So they just have catch cans going from crankcase valve/PCV to catch can to intake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back