Catalytic Converter Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Cavalier (195000 miles!) keeps getting error codes indicating the rear catalytic converter warm up time is too long. At the moment my brain is blank trying to recall the error code number. Anyway, I reset it and it comes back the next day. So, I think I probably need a new catalytic converter and O2 sensor for the car.

I see AA and AZ have the direct replacement CC’s which would be pretty easy to install. Are these decent CC’s or should I look elsewhere? They are not too expensive.

Is there any way this is only an O2 sensor problem? Can AA or AZ check the output voltage of the O2 sensor and tell me one way or the other?

Thanks!

Try google shopping, there are lots of places on the net.

All aftermarket catcos have a decent EPA required warranty, IIRC 5 yr/ 60k more or less. You should consider ease of finding the vendor in case you need that warranty though: aftermarket cats have less rare mineral guts than OE ones.

You could buy OE but it would be horribly pricey. It's illegal to sell used ones and junkyards probably torch them into pieces as soon as cars come in, so the luck of a bolt in replacement is unlikely.

My GMC truck was throwing a bad cat code. Replaced the post O2 sensor and fixed!

I'd try the O2 first.

Bill

CATS usually don't go bad unless your car is running super rich, and then it would throw a different code. I am putting money on the O2 sensor is bad. I would change that first. If the code still pops up, then the CAT. O2 sensors general go 100K-150K till they get so carbon'd up they can't function correctly. You going almost 200K to me says your doing really good. My guess is the O2, not the CAT. IMO.

ONLY EVER BUY OEM if you plan on doing anything besides dumping the car.

I learned that at my own expense. The aftermarket cat was barely good enough to improve numbers compared to my OE cat which was not converting NOX. Bad OE, NOx was at 140x. New aftermarket, NOx was at 1395. New OE, NOx was at 7. All the other measured items had substantial improvements percentage wise but nowhere near the swing in number values.

I agree OEM is better, I believe it to be that OEM has to pass DOT specs and EPA specs. Where as aftermarket ones dont. I have looked at some aftermarket CATS and see no DOT stamp on them as the OEM does. At least on my car. Then again, my CAT is sitting on the floor right now and I am running a Race Cat, but thats besides the point, hehe. As far as sensors go, Denso and BOSCH make the best ones out there and are OEM suppliers to most if not ALL cars on the road.

after market catalytic converters can be a tricky thing, as there is a lot of them. In my experience GM vehicles were a lot more picky when it came to after market catalytic converters, I know eastern catalytic converters make a special universal designed specially for GM vehicles ( ECO GM ) I've used it with much success, but other than that you'd be better off with an OE converter. I know Bear River Converters in Utah sells them, I think they even sell them on ebay...
As others have said, a lot of the time the oxygen sensors can be the problem (sometimes both). I agree about Denso and Bosch being good o2 sensors, had good luck with them.
Converters almost never go bad on their own, they usually don't die they are murdered. So don't always jump the the catalytic converter first.
just my 2 cents.

I put an Eastern catalytic converter in my Crown Vic. Driver's side was clogged. It's not a "universal" but a direct bolt-in replacement for the OE converter.

The downstream to upstream switch ratio on that side is now .2:1 as of the last time I checked. Failure threshold is .8:1

If you want a known good quality aftermarket converter, a California legal (CARB certified) one will do nicely, although it's more expensive (still probably cheaper than OE).

Originally Posted By: brianl703

The downstream to upstream switch ratio on that side is now .2:1 as of the last time I checked. Failure threshold is .8:1

It's dropped all the way to .03:1

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
My GMC truck was throwing a bad cat code. Replaced the post O2 sensor and fixed!

I'd try the O2 first.

Bill

I agree!

Thanks for the ideas. My scanner only gives me codes. Will the scanners at AA or AZ be able to tell me if the O2 sensor is the culprit?

Yeah, the AAP/AZ scanners should tell you the main culprit. They may even be able to give you a ticker tape printout with suggestions of what to replace.

My Nephew has 3 codes comming up on his 97 Camry V6 and it said nothing about the O2 sensor but all 3 codes were in that general area of the 02 sensor. All pertaining to 1-3-5(bank 1) spark plugs. Now, we knew there was nothing wrong with all 3 of the plugs. So, sometimes you'll have to use your better judgement. The 02 sensor on bank 1 fixed the issue.

Originally Posted By: Dualie
Here in California we can ONLY use OEM cats. If you have ever priced them you would know you don't want to wish that on anyone.

Not true. We can install aftermarket cats as long as they're stamped with a CA approved CARB EO number.

^ This sounds like what I've heard about Cali. However, the CARB approved cats are significantly more expensive than others, but still probably less than OEM.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Originally Posted By: Dualie
Here in California we can ONLY use OEM cats. If you have ever priced them you would know you don't want to wish that on anyone.

Not true. We can install aftermarket cats as long as they're stamped with a CA approved CARB EO number.

agreed , i had to replace my CAT because it was making a rattle, i got a aftermarket magnaflow and installed got it installed fpr $220

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
^ This sounds like what I've heard about Cali. However, the CARB approved cats are significantly more expensive than others, but still probably less than OEM.

True if you're taking list price. You have to shop around online for a minute or two to find one at significantly less than MSRP.

I bought a CARB approved Magnaflow 36625 direct fit cat for my Legend for $215 shipped. MSRP is $634.55

MSRP for a 49-state Magnaflow converter is $290.84 That's quite a difference for what is essentially a stamp of approval (IMO).

List price for an OEM cat is $955.22. Curious how both CA and 49-state OEM cats carry the same part number.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back