Castrol vs Royal Purple vs Mobil vs Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil stashes can be a bad thing!

I'd use XD3 0w-30. Perhaps the best oil made. Really peeves me we can't get it in the US.

Last edited:
Drew,
I am gonna drop by my local Esso dealer in spring.
cheers.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This has to be about the worst thread I've ever seen on BiTOG.
thread.gif

Where do I start?

Whoever said Amsoil contains PTFE or any form of Teflon is so full of caca, I don't know what else I can add, but there sure are some misinformed souls out there.

Yes Amsoil blends their own oils? So what? So does Redline, Royal Purple, Castrol, Torco,....and yes even Mobil. Citing Wikipedia is usually pretty lame, but since I actually wrote part of that - I'll tell you to go back and read it again. Amsoil does NOT buy all their PAO basestock from Mobil and does not make the oil exactly like Mobil1.

Not necessarily contradictory - but I thought you would appreciate it.

More interesting, ironic and maybe contradictory is the fact that G-man, 427 and some of the others haven't jumped in this thread to squelch some of the balogna.
laugh.gif
Oh - what was I expecting - silly me
deadhorse.gif

the more i read. (Amsoil's site and forums) the more it appears to me that that product is interested in winning sales with outrageous claims of longevity. but lets taket eh focus off of amsoil. anyone here have an opinion/comparison with lucas? redline? hoping again for real world and not just "tests".

the more i read, (Amsoil's site and forums) the more it appears to me that Amsoil is interested in winning sales with outrageous claims of longevity that can't hold up. but lets take the focus off of amsoil. anyone here have an opinion/comparison with lucas? redline? hoping again for real world and not just "tests".

I would change the oil at your comfort level, especially if you drive the car hard
grin.gif
. Amsoil, German Castrol, Redline, Mobil 1 EP are really tough oils. You can always do a UOA at some point and time.
driving.gif

Amsoil is a great oil - head over to the UOA section and do some Amsoil searches. You'll even find one of my own Amsoil UOAs done there. My personal opinion - Amsoil is the best if not close to the best.

Outrageous claims of longevity? Out of dealer lot cars can last up to 50,000+ miles on conventional oil without an oil change (thanks to dumb owners). I'm sure someone can pull a link with something like that. So, on a sound engine - 25,000 miles isn't all that insane as long as you do UOAs, check the oil level, and keep it full. I for one am a 5k max synthetic user so whatever.

Thing is, in a sound/well built engine - Amsoil, Castrol, Mobil, Royal Purple, RedLine, whatever - your engine will outlast your car unless you drive 500,000+ miles a year.

As far as determining what oil is the best - it has got to be difficult because all of those synthetics are great, very close to each other in terms of performance and results. If you do feel compelled to find this out - only UOA evidence will convince me of anything.

I personally believe each engine will react a little differently to a specific oil. So do some UOAs - experiment - and have fun. A Used Oil Analysis will be the only factual way to see how an oil is doing in your engine. ** If you are worried about oil performance then change the synthetic out every 3,000 miles and worry no longer.

Interesting read Mobil 1 vs Amsoil study to 15k miles. Neptune Oil Study

I have heard that ROYAL PURPLE thins out "fairly quickly"
confused.gif
Does that mean it can't still be doing it's job
confused.gif

R/P states that the street oils are good for up to 12K OCI's. They claim a group IV base, and their "SynerLec" additive make theirs an especially robust lubricant.

Thoughts
confused.gif

Quote:

have a love hate relationship with Amsoil

I think many of us do. I like them more than I dislike them though.

I think you should try Mobilsoil 1 with Lube control at every redlight with a 2oz dose of AutoRx every 3 Walmarts along with oil analysis and a dose of Paxil. Works wonders...My mpg has gone from 28mph to 88mpg.

Buster,
Quote:

I think you should try Mobilsoil 1 with Lube control at every redlight with a 2oz dose of AutoRx every 3 Walmarts along with oil analysis and a dose of Paxil. Works wonders...My mpg has gone from 28mph to 88mpg.

laugh.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it is interesting.

Most notable; it is in direct conflict with what many here are preaching; that the color of the oil is irrelevant.

During the entire Amsoil test; each new journal entry has comments in regard to the color of the oil, and whether or not it is normal at that mileage point.

"Mile 2000 -- Stephen Schreurs, January 5, 2004.
Oil/Vehicle miles: 1,985 / 32,961
Oil added after sample: 1/2 quart

The Amsoil still looks like yummy maple syrup -- as it should.
"

"Mile 3000 -- Stephen Schreurs, January 27, 2004.
Oil/Vehicle miles: 2,996 / 33,972
Oil added after sample: none

The oil looks fine -- dark amber syrup still -- but the car's sprung a coolant leak, so we were curious to see if anything unusual showed up in testing.
"

"Mile 4000 -- Lee Weber, February 18, 2004.
Oil/Vehicle miles: 3,990 / 34,966

Appearance-wise, the oil still looks normal enough, and we haven't noted anything unusual over this interval. So far so good.
"

"Mile 5000 -- "Richin Chicago", March 1, 2004.
Oil/Vehicle miles: 5,002 / 35,978

Nothing new to report here. Everything still seems pretty normal from an end-user point of view. The oil has darkened but it's not black yet.
"

etc..etc..
fruit.gif

OK, based on that study: Amsoil puts a top-secret chemical that disolves wear metals so that they don't show on the UOA's

Quote:

OK, based on that study: Amsoil puts a top-secret chemical that disolves wear metals so that they don't show on the UOA's

Actually it is not such a top secret chemical. Group IV oils have poor solvent charateristics so they deposit them as sludge and the metals don't show up in UOA's!
stirthepot.gif

Just kidding
wink.gif

Quote:
Mile 18,000 -- John Richardson, September 29, 2003.
Oil/Vehicle miles: 18,021 / 27,960
Oil added after sample: drained oil!

Well, it's done. At long last, we drained the oil. Considering that we've gone two and a half times longer than we thought we'd go, we're pretty impressed by Mobil 1's longevity. Our Dexsil TBN test resulted in a 6.0, comparing favorably to Blackstone's 6.5. But speaking of high TBNs, what happened to this oil? If it had posted these numbers at the last interval, we wouldn't have dumped it. This oil could have kept going based on the numbers we have now, but they sure weren't looking this good a thousand miles ago. Viscosity was dropping, TBN rising, and what's going on with the insolubles? Meanwhile, despite all these paper improvements, the engine still had higher oil pressure and wasn't running as smoothly as normal, so clearly not all was perfect with the oil.

"the engine still had higher oil pressure and wasn't running as smoothly as normal"
crazy.gif

Quote:
Mile 14,000 -- , December 2, 2004.
Oil/Vehicle miles: 13,994 / 44,970
Oil added after sample: none

This is it. Amsoil is done! The oil exceeded a year in service, with 14,000 miles on the ticker, and no filter change! Well, if the year hadn't ended, we would have had to change the filter now -- it finally reached our insolubles cap, 2,000 miles after Mobil 1. The main thing that stands out on this, our final Amsoil sample, is the ridiculous viscosity. This 5W30 oil has now thickened out to a 15W40 -- argue whether it matters if you like, but we believe engine builders spec an oil for a reason, and this oil is far, far thicker now than intended for the LS1. Switching to our flush Mobil 1 netted a nearly instant 10% improvement in fuel economy, and the engine runs a heckuva lot smoother too. To Amsoil's credit, wear metals remain in check, but we will soon see whether that was really thanks to the oil or just to engine break-in. We'll start posting detailed analysis in the coming weeks.

"and the engine runs a heckuva lot smoother too."
crazy.gif

I'm a former user of Amsoil 5w30 in my Expedition. used it for about 100k miles. Once I hit ~150k on the vehicle I just startd using cheaper stuff. I had good UOA w/11k miles on the oil.
I will say this. Amsoil is the only oil I've used that I didn't need to add any addition (make-up) oil until ~5-6k miles. Any other oil(even M1) I have to add a quart @ ~2500-3k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back