Castrol TWS 10W-60 in older BMW Bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this oil handy as I use it in My S54 M Coupe...seems like an OK oil for my old 1973 R60/5 or even my 86 K75C.

I am using 20W-50 oils now, or 15W-50 Mobil 1..Yearly Changes at about 4000miles. Both bikes are well over 100,000 miles and run great.

See any reason to "not" use the 10W-60 TWS in either bike? (Year round / Houston TEXAS!)

I have a friend with a penchant for European bikes.

He just uses regular conventional automotive oil. Castrol GTX 20W50

That didn't work out so well for his Morini 3 1/2 (which I loved...it reminds me of my old RD350 with a little more balance and a lot less reliability)

But his old airhead Beemer (which I would like a lot more without the early 80's Japanese cruiser pull back handlebars) seems to do quite well.

I think 10W60 TWS would do even better.

sorry about the old thread but this came up in a google search...

Been using TWS 10W60 on my new R1200R for a week now... amazing results. Seems to run better than on the 20W50... quieter valve train, smooth acceleration became even smoother... Runs about one bar cooler on the temps, and gives me the confidence to really open up the engine (8000+ rpm) and not feel like the oil will be over taxed..

I've also had a chat with a few Germans (in Germany) running it and they said they immediately noticed a dramatic reduction in oil consumption on their older bikes.

Oil consumption was not a problem for my as after the 600 mile break in change I wasn't really burning any oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back