Castrol transmax universal atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend I changed the transmission fluid in 2017 Explorer Sport that calls for Mercon LV. Checked local WalMart stock online they showed to have 7 quarts of SuperTech LV/dex 6 in stock. Get there and none left in stock. So I ended up purchasing the Castrol Transmax universal fluid "Recommended for" Mercon LV.

Now I am usually completely against using anything other than properly spec'd for transmission fluids but I was going to do this service and do it that day as I already had oil, a filter, spark plugs and coil boots purchased. So I did a drain and fill of 4 quarts. I did quite a bit of driving that day, the wife has been taking her normal commute to work for a few days which is about 70 miles each way. So far so good. Still shifts like it should, no issues whatsoever. Maybe I've just been paranoid about fluid specs all these years.

Saw it for the first time a couple weeks ago. I was always under the impression that regular/universal ATF is a totally different animal compared to CVT fluid. So it was quite a shock to me that this fluid was compatible with normal automatic transmissions AND continuously variable transmissions. Had to stop and take a closer look as I couldn't believe that I saw that correctly first...

This was the universal ATF/CVT fluid. If it is actually licensed then even better.
I hadn't seen that before, it must be new, that doesn't appear to be licensed like the old "Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF" was. But just about any new fluid is better than old fluid.

Saw it for the first time a couple weeks ago. I was always under the impression that regular/universal ATF is a totally different animal compared to CVT fluid. So it was quite a shock to me that this fluid was compatible with normal automatic transmissions AND continuously variable transmissions. Had to stop and take a closer look as I couldn't believe that I saw that correctly first...
Even weirder is that it appears to be a high viscosity fluid 1t 7.1 CSt yet it's recommended for use where Dex VI and Merc LV are spec'd, but at least the brookfield at -40 is pretty low at 9200 so it should be as pumpable in cold temps as any licensed Mercon LV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back