PS Fluid 2002 F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truck's PS is spec'd for Mercon/DexronIII. It whines in the winter, especially with some conventional Mercon/DexronIII's. I've added Mobil 1 and it helped with the winter whine. I have mainly Castrol Transmax Mercon/DexronIII in it now. I purchased some Castrol Transmax fully synthetic multi-vehicle ATF. It's rated for Ford Mercon LV transmission useage, not Mercon. My question is this ok to use in my PS unit mixing with the Castrol conventional Mercon. I only do "turkey baster" fluid changes. I'm not taking off rusting 14 year old hose connections to do a complete flush. Thanks for any feedback.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Trav
On these I just disconnect the return hose, put a piece of clear tubing on it and have someone start the engine while i fill it, It gets 100% changed in about 10 sec.
Ford pump whine is well known, the answer is to vacuum bleed them, they go quiet.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Ford pump whine is well known, the answer is to vacuum bleed them, they go quiet.

Can you give more details on this? I have an '01 Ranger with this issue. Thanks.

Sure. Make this little tool for hand held vacuum pump, its a rubber stopper from the hardware store and a piece of 1/4" hard nylon tubing cut one end with a slash tip to allow it to go through the stopper easier.
Drill a hole through the stopper, lube the tubing with WD40 and put it through the stopper until about 1/2" is exposed at the end. Mae sure all connections are tight and leak free.

If your reservoir has just a round filer neck size the stopper to fit snugly in the neck if it has a cap with ears size it so it covers the top of the neck completely.
If your reservoir is remote like on the fender well the next part is easy, start the car, remove the fill cap and insert the stopper.

Pump the vacuum until the pump just begins to make a noticeable change in noise and leave it there under vacuum for 10 min. Turn off the engine and let it sit under vacuum for a few hours or even overnight. You may need to pump it once in a while as the air comes out.

On engines with the reservoir on the engine in the weeds behind belts and hoses, starting the engine is not an option, just pump up about 15in vacuum and leave it.
This will quieten many pumps especially Fords or new pumps that have air and make noise at install or quiet pumps that got noisy after replacing fluid.
If it doesn't mechanical repair is indicated.

SAM_0699%20copy_zpssqgdx1uc.jpg

I did the PSF for the first time in my GT this past summer. Did the "turkey baster method" and replaced with M1. Then after some driving did it again since the M1 turned a nasty brown but I only had Mercon 5 on hand. So far its smooth and quiet still- about 10-15k miles on the new fluid.

It is perfectly OK to use the Castrol full synthetic ATF in your power steering system. As long as it's not European and not Honda, it is fine
smile.gif

I used the same stuff in my '02 and it works fine. I have done multiple changes in it though.
First time I used some Castrol Mercon/Dex III I had laying around (1/3 qt).
Second time, I used Hyundai SP III I had laying around (1/2 qt).
Third time I used the Castrol Multi-vehicle (full qt).

My PS whine is almost completely gone (only at full lock now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back