Castrol Tection 15W40 and Flat Tappet Cams

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a HDEO suitable for most diesel engines I think. I cannot figure out though if it is suitable for use in a flat tappet cam diesel.

Does anyone know how much zinc it has?

Last edited:
If it is CI-4 or earlier, may be a bunch, I think CJ-4/SM is where you start to get a lower limit.

That said, the limits for 40wt oils are higher than for 30 and 20wt oils, so there still is a nontrivial amount.

Even the CJ4 limit is 1200ppm P, which corresponds to ~1300 ppm Zn. Enough for virtually any diesel with flat tappets. Diesels, by virtue of lower rpm limits, do not come with high pressure valve springs. The whole flat tappet "thing" is largely related to high valve spring pressures on high rpm high performance (gasoline) engines.

Charlie

If you are worried about the zinc level the GTX Diesel has more zinc, but the Tection will most likey do just fine since my friend is running a CJ4 oil in his big block Chevy with a flat tappet and the BBC is known for having a very harsh valvetrain as far as rocker arm ratios go.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Even the CJ4 limit is 1200ppm P, which corresponds to ~1300 ppm Zn. Enough for virtually any diesel with flat tappets. Diesels, by virtue of lower rpm limits, do not come with high pressure valve springs. The whole flat tappet "thing" is largely related to high valve spring pressures on high rpm high performance (gasoline) engines.

Charlie

Yeah, CJ oils were lower in zddp for a year or two, but lately there has been an noticeable trend back to almost CI4+ levels in most oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back