castrol syntec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went to advanced last night and bought two of their specials. 5 qts of castrol syntec and pure one filter for 24.99

Anyone use or have uoa's on syntec. Any good?

...is just fine. Nothing wrong with any grade of Castrol Syntec at all. There are some VOA/UOA's on it in that section. Wish people would stop bashing Syntec.

There is a tendency to bash Syntec as they were one of the first "cheaters" to consider hydrcracking "synthetic". IMHO it was very misleading and arguably dishonest. I prefer to deal with people and products who are upfront and honest. By now everyone else has jumped on the marketing bandwagon. It was a sad day when M1 joined the ranks - especially since I was using M1 in severe service and extended drains in my Ram and did not realize their switch from g4 to g3. that coulda been really bad.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The 0W-30 is one of the better oils you can buy anywhere. But the rest of it.....

Allow me to finish you comment........ is junk!!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
There is a tendency to bash Syntec as they were one of the first "cheaters" to consider hydrcracking "synthetic". IMHO it was very misleading and arguably dishonest. I prefer to deal with people and products who are upfront and honest. By now everyone else has jumped on the marketing bandwagon. It was a sad day when M1 joined the ranks - especially since I was using M1 in severe service and extended drains in my Ram and did not realize their switch from g4 to g3. that coulda been really bad.

You not what you speak. M1 is a blend of Some 3 mostly 4 and 5.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
The 0W-30 is one of the better oils you can buy anywhere. But the rest of it.....

grin2.gif

I highly disagree. Syntec is great. Their marketing sucks... they made mistakes in the past... so what... doesn't mean the hard working chemists didn't make a [censored] good oil. It's working fine in my TL and it's the 5w20 grade.

Originally Posted By: JeepZJ4.0

grin2.gif

I highly disagree. Syntec is great. Their marketing sucks... they made mistakes in the past... so what... doesn't mean the hard working chemists didn't make a [censored] good oil. It's working fine in my TL and it's the 5w20 grade.

Yeah that`s why it`s respected here on the board so well.
smirk2.gif
And it`s not just because of stupid commercials either.Were talking about the Syntec (not GC) here.Dino Castrol seems to rate well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

You not what you speak. M1 is a blend of Some 3 mostly 4 and 5.

I do not study their MSDS's or run their products through chemical analysis on a weekly basis. It was my understanding that the normal M1 products are G3 and that only the EP (Extended performnce) products were G4.

Regardless, there was a time when all M1 was good for 15,000 miles (now only the M1 EP products are marked as such) and when a consumer sets their OCI's based on those performance specs (which I did) it's certainly a suprise to suddenly reduce the performace of a product. so, since I dont know what I am talking about, why are the standard M1 products no longer guaranteed for 15k miles like the EP's are?

tig1 You not what you speak. M1 is a blend of Some 3 mostly 4 and 5. I do not study their MSDS's or run their products through chemical analysis on a weekly basis. It was my understanding that the normal M1 products are G3 and that only the EP (Extended performnce) products were G4. [COLOR=#CC0000 said:
Regardless, there was a time when all M1 was good for 15,000 miles (now only the M1 EP products are marked as such) and when a consumer sets their OCI's based on those performance specs (which I did) it's certainly a suprise to suddenly reduce the performace of a product. so, since I dont know what I am talking about, why are the standard M1 products no longer guaranteed for 15k miles like the EP's are? [/COLOR]

Thats a good point tomcat.I think most all of this stuff is all about the bottom line: PROFITS!,and the mighty dollar!

Last edited:

smirk2.gif
And it`s not just because of stupid commercials either.Were talking about the Syntec (not GC) here.Dino Castrol seems to rate well.
I haven't seen a bad UOA of it. And like I said, it's working great in my TL. No valvetrain noise. Very quiet and smooth. Too early to tell for MPG. I've been on here a while and haven't heard anything bad... just some people who cannot get past their marketing techniques of the past. All companies make mistakes.

Originally Posted By: JeepZJ4.0

smirk2.gif
I haven't seen a bad UOA of it. And like I said, it's working great in my TL. No valvetrain noise. Very quiet and smooth. Too early to tell for MPG. I've been on here a while and haven't heard anything bad... just some people who cannot get past their marketing techniques of the past. All companies make mistakes.

10.gif
I think the reason people shy away from reg.Syntec is due to the low cst`s 5W-30 Syntec is one of the thinnest out their.

Last edited:

10.gif
I think the reason people shy away from reg.Syntec is due to the low cst`s 5W-30 Syntec is one of the thinnest out their.

That may be the case. Nobody has run a VOA on Syntec 5w30 since 2007. The VOA shows a CST of 9.7, while M1 EP 5w30 EP has a CST of 10.29. Both were run by different labs. A comment was it's a good oil but overpriced. It was indeed a very overpriced oil a few years ago, but with the introduction of Castrol Edge, there are deals to be had with Syntec.

Syntec 5w30
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post884650

M1 EP:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1516532

Syntec 10w30
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post784471

tig1 You not what you speak. M1 is a blend of Some 3 mostly 4 and 5. I do not study their MSDS's or run their products through chemical analysis on a weekly basis. It was my understanding that the normal M1 products are G3 and that only the EP (Extended performnce) products were G4. Regardless said:
Tomcat,
I started using M1 31 years ago and at that time M1 said to go 25,000 mile on OCIs. They soon droped that because people with cars under warranty were not folllowing they warranty requirements which could cause problems for the customer.
With all that said you say M1 gauranteed their regular M1 for 15,000 mile. Not so, they never did. Someone gave you bad info. What they do say is follow your cars warranty requirements at least till the warranty mileage is up. Now I have used M1 for 10,000 mile OCIs since 1978 with great success. Never had an engine failure with long lived and very clean engines. If you want a detailed history I'll give it to you.
Now the M1 EP line is gauranteed for 15,000 miles which I have talked to them about, but even with the EP line M1 still says to follow the warranty requirements untill the warranty is up.
You also said you used M1 for severe service in your truck, and apparently the oil served you well. That's good news. May I reccomend the Truck and SUV formula version of M1. It will work well in your truck.

Last edited:

grin2.gif

I was thinking more that it's an unknown. The 0W-30 is one of the most tested and researched oils on here.

I have to agree, I haven't bought a Castrol product since that happened until a month ago! I use there Import ATF in my 95 Accord because i felt it was the best product for my tranny. It was hard to do when i had felt like they lied to me!And since M1 started using groupIII in there formula i stopped using there products also! I like to know what i am paying for! Not to bash Syntec but i like Valvoline's more open approach to the makeup of there oil! And SOPUS is widely know as to there makeup!

I used to buy Castrol Syntec long long time ago, but I did not use it anymore mainly because it was rarely on deep sale and/or it had any rebate the last several years. Why pay $4-5 a quart for Syntec while you can get PP or Synpower for less than $1/qt after rebate ?

grin2.gif

I was thinking more that it's an unknown. The 0W-30 is one of the most tested and researched oils on here.

A better statement. I'm pretty amazed at the amount of speculation and supposition that gets offered here as fact.

For one thing, the formulations get changed and tweaked all the time. For another, it seems virtually impossible to get an oil maker to give you the straight scoop on the nature of their base oil blends. Unless we have it from an authority from within the company (or other good source), claims like "X is a G-III, or a mix of. . ." really ought to be couched in terms like, "I believe that...," or "I conclude from ____ that this oil is ...".

Take this for what its worth but my buddy bought a 1993 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.2 motor in 1998 with 60,000 miles and between 1998 and 2007 he put on another 447,000 miles for a grand total of 507,000 miles. During this time he exclusively used Castrol Syntec which he would purchase a large quantity of when Costco would run a special on Syntec. If my memory serves me correctly I believe he used 5w-30 in the winter and 10w-30 in the summer. His OCI were around 8,500 miles and he also used Fram oil filters and a K&N air filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back