Castrol Syntec-Can it go 7,500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can Castrol Syntec go 7,500 or 6 months with the right filter like Amsoil XLM 5W-20?I'm thinking of getting 8 qrts and a Amsoil filter and trying this product.Thanks Joe
fruit.gif

Yes*

*perform a UOA in YOUR vehicle to verify that it can. You may be surprised to find that it can go much further! Only a UOA will tell the tale.

GC yes, as long as you don't do too many short trips. GC was too thick for me last winter because my fuel was over 2%. Subaru Forester, 2.5L turbo, 5 mile commute each way daily, 7,500 mile OCI.

-Dennis

Depends on the type of vehicle and driving. I don't believe you need to spend more on a filter.

Penz. Platinum GrpV real syn will easily go 7,500m and is less $$$
Mobil 1 will do 10k and is slightly more $$

why spend $$$ on an overpriced oil that is only GrpIII

What makes Mobil 1 superior? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, i'm just curious to know why people think that.

Castrol Syntec should be able to handle that with no problem. Mobil 1 EP for extended drains is a better oil than any Syntec product other than GC. IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by BennyL:
if mobil 1 is almost the same price, and is a superior product, i don't see why anyone would take castrol over mobil.

GC is a superior product as compared to Mobil 1, not vice versa.
Regarding the 7,500 interval.
If you drive on the freeway you can easily go that far on any non-synthetic.
And you don't need a fancy filter.
Any oil filter can easily go 20,000 mi in a relatively clean engine.
I keep the cheapo Motorcraft filters on for 12K miles.

Wow. A lot of people I talked to still follow the OCI of 6000 KM or 3 months!

After my auto-rx treatment(s) I will go with 8000km OCI I think. Tiny steps you know! Go from 6000km to 12000km in one step is quick :).

quote:

Originally posted by avette:
GC is a superior product as compared to Mobil 1, not vice versa.

GC is probably superior to M1 but Regular Castrol Syntec is not. Only German Castrol is.

avette- any proof to back up your claim that GC is superior to M1, or is that just your feeling? Please link some UOA comparisons with the same weights of GC and M1 compared.

Check out this UOA from off the shelf Syntec 5w-30. OEM Nissan filter. I had a 350Z that I drove really hard. Drove 4 miles each way to work for a few months, lived in San Diego (salt in air near costal areas),drove cross country to Virginia also. 7680 mi on oil and could have pushed it to 10K. Syntec is great in my book!
 -

quote:

avette- any proof to back up your claim that GC is superior to M1, or is that just your feeling? Please link some UOA comparisons with the same weights of GC and M1 compared.

I'm not gonna spend hours searching for data to prove my point. I don't wanna waiste my time.
I just repeat what Terry Dyson has posted in certain threads on this board commenting on some negative aspects of Mobil1. I don't remember him posting anything negative about GC.
I hope you admit that his invaluable experience and knowledge on the subject are hardly in question.
His data shows that Mobil 1 (non-EP) leaves a lot to be desired in wear control in the valve train.
Mobil1 EP is probably still too new for him to draw any kind of a conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back