Castrol Syntec 5w30, 6k mi, 2007 Pontiac Vibe

Status
Not open for further replies.
My second UOA. My first is here. Still using Castrol Syntec (old formula, not the newer 'reformulated' Edge w/ Syntec) because I got a good deal on it.

The car was new to me at 70,400 mi and I started this oil at 72,200 mi. Since my last UOA I have changed jobs and while I told Blackstone my driving is 50/50, its is more than likely closer to 60 or 70% city driving now.

Oil filter is 'stock' Toyota filter (larger capacity that is intended for the 2ZZ engine).

03/20/12 Comments:The 6,000 miles that you ran this time produced very little change in the way of wear metals and hat's exactly what you want to see since things looked so good last time. As before, the low wear in this sample shows an engine that is wearing exactly as it should. The 50/50 city and highway driving didn't hurt anything that we can see. The trace of fuel returned. That might be from time spent in city traffic, but it's not harmful and isn't a problem. The TBN was 2.1 showing some active additive left. 7,000 or 8,000 miles on the next oil should work just fine.

Code:
OIL SAME CASTROL SYNTEC 5W30

MILES IN USE 6000 MI 5200 MI

MILES 83400 MI 77400 MI

SAMPLE TAKEN 03/20/12 10/18/11

ALUMINUM 4 3

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 8 6

COPPER 2 3

LEAD 0 0

TIN 3 2

MOLYBDENUM 78 86

NICKEL 1 1

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 1 1

BORON 23 24

SILICON 10 13

SODIUM 30 47

CALCIUM 2746 2768

MAGNESIUM 26 16

PHOSPHORUS 616 683

ZINC 740 833

BARIUM 1 0

SUS VISC 210 60.0 56.9 56-63

CST VISC 100 10.22 9.32 9.1-11.3

FLASHPOINT 365 365 >365

FUEL% TR TR
ANTIFREEZE% 0 0 0.0

WATER% 0 0
INSOLUABLES% 0.3 0.5
TBN 2.1 2.6 >1.0

*should be

The insolubles are lower this time with even more miles, and silicone also dropped. Personally, considering this UOA has more miles in harsher conditions (city driving) I'm even more happy with these results than the first OA. I'm not sure that I will try 7k or 8k unless any of you think it's a good idea to run much longer with the TBN getting that low? Any input is appreciated!

If I remember correctly the 1.8 was kinda known for stuck oil rings. I wouldn't push conventional past 5000 in that engine I have a Saturn they're also known for stuck oil rings. Its not a fun problem to have. That's jmho.

The earlier 1ZZ-FE engines were known for stuck oil rings, but that didn't seem to be an issue in later engines (such as the 2004 era and beyond).

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The earlier 1ZZ-FE engines were known for stuck oil rings, but that didn't seem to be an issue in later engines (such as the 2004 era and beyond).

so should i be concerned about this on my buddy's vibe that he just put almost 7k of city pizza delivery miles on a change of PYB? sample sent to blackstone, waiting on results..
'03, 1zz-fe, he bought it(summer 2010) w/120k, now sits around 155k

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
If I remember correctly the 1.8 was kinda known for stuck oil rings. I wouldn't push conventional past 5000 in that engine I have a Saturn they're also known for stuck oil rings. Its not a fun problem to have. That's jmho.

Hmm, I've not heard about stuck rings with this engine/veh but I will definitely keep that in mind. However, Castrol Syntec isn't conventional oil...does that change your stand-point on the OCI?

I didn't see that you said syntec lol. Yea I'd personally do 6000-6500 but that's just me. You can go longer I just like the idea of having fresh oil. And I like looking at everything and checking stuff. Basically I get bored. Lol I am not sure if the oil usage issue is still present port not. The engine been around a while so that being fixed is likely. I don't use syntec I have bad luck with it put it in my old cavalier next day started having rod knock week later it through the rod. Is it the oils fault nope. Is it coincidence probably but I won't buy a dodge shadow even of you gave it to me I wouldn't take it. Is it because they are bad. Nope just had bad luck. Lol its all in my mind but no sense in changing now. Its good oil heck you could just do every 6 months regardless of miles. Unless you drive like 30k a year.

You could probably do 7K.
TBN looks a little low for the miles in both of your UOAs.
Looks good overall, though.
Syntec never did get much love here, but the few UOA posted always looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back