Castrol Syntec 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not use Castrol Products as the products have Arsenic, Cadmium, and Lead as ingredients, per the MSDS.

That may be why, after using just one oil change of Castrol Syntec Blend, or whatever the synthetic blends' name is, when I changed to a Full Synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30 in my Nissan, and looked at my oil at 3k miles, that it was jet black. Now it may have been jet black because of using dino oils, like Pennzoil, Conoco, and Quaker State, however, at the same 3k interval, the Mobil 1 was Jet Black as opposed to Castrol which was a darker amber color.

Maybe Mobil 1 Synthetic was busy cleaning up the mess left by all the other oils, I don't know.

Originally Posted By: Durango

lambrose,

My brothers Cadillac CTS's dealership uses Castrol "Syntec" instead of the factory fill Mobil 1.

If you compare the back of the bottle the specs say it's GM rated and it's still a synthetic.

Durango
Correction: 5w-30 Syntec Doesnt meet the 4718M corvette spec which most all quality "synthetics" meet - even supertech.

Originally Posted By: lambrose

Maybe I came at this the wrong way, but as an ISO 9001 auditor and statistical analyst, I know the only to evaluate data is to have good data to evaluate. So I tried to keep the topic very specific, meaning no comparisons to other products in the data which might lead to subjection.

Used in my 2008 Yaris replacing Motul eco-nergy 8100 5w-30 SL A1/A5

I was kinda looking for:
1. MPG experiences - Not Checked
2. Engine smoothness and noise - Extremely noisey starup and hot run
3. Engine cleanliness - not checked; oil became mahogany black very quickly
4. Overall satisfaction as a consumer of this product - Very poor Dumped the costly fill it with less than 1000 miles into run due to engine noise, piston slap and blackening of the oil. On a positve note the car showed very good upper torque range output for about a week after changeover.

.. ...

I did see Edge at WW and looked into it on this site. When looking through the data it appears to have by FAR the weakest additive package. Worse than even the top "conventional" oils. I am not sure if this Edge stuff is supposed to be a joke on the consumer or not.

... ..
That is because Edge uses advance additisation products, not " old fashion" purely organometallic add packs that show up in VOA. Most all subjective analysis of EDGE on this site Ive encountered show the subject user very happy with the oils performance - the same is not true with 5w-30 syntec. I, like you, was initially attracted to the robust add pack of Syntec v PP and thats why I tried it. But, dont forget, The basestock blend is very important too and does the majority of the lubrication. Syntec ran like a "broken" oil in my car and I was very dissappointed and out some substantial money for trying it.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
.. ...

I did see Edge at WW and looked into it on this site. When looking through the data it appears to have by FAR the weakest additive package. Worse than even the top "conventional" oils. I am not sure if this Edge stuff is supposed to be a joke on the consumer or not.

... ..
That is because Edge uses advance additisation products, not " old fashion" purely organometallic add packs that show up in VOA. Most all subjective analysis of EDGE on this site Ive encountered show the subject user very happy with the oils performance - the same is not true with 5w-30 syntec. I, like you, was initially attracted to the robust add pack of Syntec v PP and thats why I tried it. But, dont forget, The basestock blend is very important too and does the majority of the lubrication. Syntec ran like a "broken" oil in my car and I was very dissappointed and out some substantial money for trying it.

Very good insight. Thanks. I will look into the other brands a little harder.

I've used it in a number of vehicles and have been happy with it. No UOA's to back it up though. I'd use it again if the price were right.

This seems like a great oil to me.

Last Grp III synthetic oil I would ever use.

+1 PP or Valvoline

I agree with the SynPower love in here. I've seen some of the best UOA's ever with that stuff. Coupled with the sales they had last month, and the rebate. Man what a deal.

As for Syntec, the GC 0w-30 obviously is incredible. But the UOA's of regular american syntec have not been impressive at all. Though I haven't seen many, the few I have seen did not impress.

Last edited:
If you personally enjoy using Castol Syntec thats just fine they make a fine product. All their lubricants are great quality. But for being nothing out of the ordinary against their opponents Castrol is not worth spending the extra money on. At my local Walmart I can get a 5qt jug of PP for $18.75 or $26.50 for Syntec. I'd use either doesnt matter but Castrol is waaay over priced. Dont get me started on GTX being over priced...But their gear oils and ATF's are well priced...

I bought a nice stash of Castrol Edge with Syntec, 5w-30 and Castrol Tection, 15w-40, Dino Diesel all in gallon jugs at Kmart on clearance. The price was good and the oil is all SM, GF-4 for the Edge with Syntec. I will also mix this Edge with Syntec with the few gallons of GTX 10w-30 that was also on clearance.

I'll be blending the Edge with Syntec with the Tection and GTX, 50/50 next summer in some vehicles. I'll run this for the a blended mix in the heat of the summer for severe city driving.

I used castrol syntec 5w30 when it was $21 @walmart. It was the good oil..

I am 100% sure I get the same mpg whether I use synthetic or chevron supreme dino..

Oil are expensive these days. So I buy the cheape and good quality oil like chevron supreme. I am thinking about buying mobil super 5000 or castrol gtx from walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back