Castrol Power 1 10W40

Sorry if this isn't allowed;
I had a thread in the VOA (not the motorcycle page) for the Castrol Power 1 10W40. I just received back the UOA of the oil after 1,300 miles. I had a busy season this year and it didn't allow me to get out as much. I've attached the UOA, and am going to include a link here to the VOA thread where the VOA and this UOA are posted as well:
Just a note, this is not 10W30 and is in fact 10W40 I'm not sure where they got 10W30 from so disregard that.

Attachments

• 19 Z900RS-201106 fixed (1)-page-001.jpg
    19 Z900RS-201106 fixed (1)-page-001.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 971
Good work! Appreciate you posting this. Great bike in the Z900! I’m looking at the mileage looking and the shearing... 1,300 miles and a flashpoint of 420 should leave the oil hanging on to its grade better, IMO. I posted my most recent uoa of M1 10w40 4T at the end of this riding season from my ZRX1200. 5,345 miles, 72.1 SUS vis and same 420 flashpoint as your sample. I did not run a TBN, however a previous run of M1 10w40 4T was 6.5 TBN at 4,603 miles and a SUS vis of 66.4 with a flashpoint of 410.

I don’t know how loyal you are to Castrol products, but for the great price you indicated in the VOA thread it probably made sense to try it.

Last edited:
Good work! Appreciate you posting this. Great bike in the Z900! I’m looking at the mileage looking and the shearing... 1,300 miles and a flashpoint of 420 should leave the oil hanging on to its grade better, IMO. I posted my most recent uoa of M1 10w40 4T at the end of this riding season from my ZRX1200. 5,345 miles, 72.1 SUS vis and same 420 flashpoint as your sample. I did not run a TBN, however a previous run of M1 10w40 4T was 6.5 TBN at 4,603 miles and a SUS vis of 66.4 with a flashpoint of 410.

I don’t know how loyal you are to Castrol products, but for the great price you indicated in the VOA thread it probably made sense to try it.

I didnt even think to look at the flashpoint, I'm not to educated in that or the sheering, so I didn't really comment on that. I did look at the sheer values for the 10w30 and 10w40 and saw the used sample is just slightly higher than a 10w30 so I would agree that it sheered down rather quickly.

I am not loyal to the Castrol products, that deal I got was too good. I like to experiment and try different brands when I can. When I had my Triumph it liked M1 and of course Amsoil (Any premium oil I bet it would like). My Buell however did NOT like M1, and loved the Motul 7100. I plan on keeping Motul in the bike for the time I track it. Might go to 300V for track days themselves.

Thanks for the follow up comments! Did you do any track days with the Z900, I see you mention that but not sure what bike you are talking about. Is/was the Buell an 1125R? I have tried a dozen oils in my bike, simply to see what the analysis on a different oil looks like each riding season. I guess I am an oil whore that way. I’m running M1 10w40 4T for the third OCI out of the last 4 (M1 20w50 V-Twin was the other). I’ve pretty much settled on those two as my oils of choice. Minimal sheer and hold their grade well for 5000+ miles. After next riding season I will take a sample of the oil but I won’t change it until I get the results. I am contemplating M1 V Twin 20w50 moving forward after that. It had the best analysis overall although I can’t say 4T has any flies on it.

lots of confusion here.
OP says 1300mi but the report says 1970mi
any susvis of 66 is a 30wt as it takes 68.2863 to be 40wt. so not in grade
a flash of 420 is pretty good....a flash of 390 is more fuel than the stoners
the 650mi uoa is a breakin and has all that iron, copper and silicon in it
as well chromium and manganese...shocked no silver
a uoa this early on the original oil is just a waste of money regardless of what motor it is

friends dont let friends use castrol ;)

Thanks for the follow up comments! Did you do any track days with the Z900, I see you mention that but not sure what bike you are talking about. Is/was the Buell an 1125R? I have tried a dozen oils in my bike, simply to see what the analysis on a different oil looks like each riding season. I guess I am an oil whore that way. I’m running M1 10w40 4T for the third OCI out of the last 4 (M1 20w50 V-Twin was the other). I’ve pretty much settled on those two as my oils of choice. Minimal sheer and hold their grade well for 5000+ miles. After next riding season I will take a sample of the oil but I won’t change it until I get the results. I am contemplating M1 V Twin 20w50 moving forward after that. It had the best analysis overall although I can’t say 4T has any flies on it.
I did not run any this past summer, I tried but between events getting canceled and then other things happening in life, they didn't materialize. Which amounted to only 1300 miles this season :-/.

My Buell was in fact an 1125R, 2009 model. I ran M1, Amsoil, and then settled on Motul 7100. I also changed the coolant out to Motul Factory coolant (since been discontinued or renamed). I ended up selling that literally the day before EBR announced their first bankruptcy, before Hero got involved. I got rid of it to pay off the last of my school debt. I want a more dedicated track bike and want to keep the Z900rs for as long as I'm alive since its my first true new vehicle purchase. So I've been looking for a used 1125R to turn into a track bike, Ive found a 2008 Xb12r for 1,900, was dropped on the left side, which doesn't matter to me much because race bike. I just know and loved my 1125r that getting another one after 7 years will be like seeing an old friend.
Just like the current used car market, used bikes are hard to find, one 1125R did come up, I proposed it to the budget committee and got shot down. I think the next one that comes up I'll tell her my mods to my Z will stop, because I'm turning it into a better machine for hte track, but if i buy the 1125R the amount I might save could be more than what I put into the Z. I'm looking at Ohlins cartridge kit $1400 after install, rear shock ($800-1500). exhaust ($650), Tune ($300).
I think those would happen anyway, I just need to find the right bike close and the puzzle pieces will fall into place, however I'll have to give up some other hobby I know for a fact.

lots of confusion here.
OP says 1300mi but the report says 1970mi
a flash of 420 is pretty good....a flash of 390 is more fuel than the stoners
the 650mi uoa is a breakin and has all that iron, copper and silicon in it
as well chromium and manganese...shocked no silver
a uoa this early on the original oil is just a waste of money regardless of what motor it is

friends dont let friends use castrol ;)
1300 miles on the oil at the time I drained it out and took the sample. 1,970 - 650 = ~1,300 miles, quick math.
I dropped the original oil at 650 miles for storage purposes and to get an idea of what was in it and how it was working. The UOA of the factory fill was kinda a waste of money as I wanted to find out a little more, but whatever.

For the cost I got that Castrol ($4/quart on Amazon), and seeing no VOA or UOA at all I decided to give it a try. The UOA came back decent, as you can see, not spectacular, but at $4/quart for a name brand full synthetic I had to try it out. I still have a couple quarts left, will probably use those between track days.

For what it’s worth, I put this same oil in my Honda ST1300 this year. For all the bikes I’ve owned, I found that oil is oil. Brand A, B, C, or D made no difference. This Castrol seems to be the exception. The one item I can measure easily, miles per gallon, increased from 42 mpg To 44 mpg. My butt dyno tells me the bike runs smoother in general. I’m impressed.

Good deal with the ST1300, don’t see too many reports of 5% mpg increase of one name brand oil over others, nice!

ah now i go back and look again...yes its 1970 on unit and that would be 1300mi more.

its not a bad oil...its just not a great oil either ;)

ah now i go back and look again...yes its 1970 on unit and that would be 1300mi more.

its not a bad oil...its just not a great oil either ;)
exactly, not the best, but for daily duty it'll do. I won't use it for track use thats for sure. But if I had a second bike, I think it would be fed this if I could consistently get this oil at this price. But it's gone up, my local supermarket/grocer has M1 cheaper than this Power 1.

KV100 is shown as 12.05 cSt, which is on the high end of 30 weight. Maybe this oil is also low in the 40 weight grade when new - ?

Update - saw the link to the VOA in post #1 which showed KV100 at 13.82 cSt, which is in the bottom 1/3 of the 40 weight range.

Note that someone posted a VOA on Castrol Actevo 10w40 4T in that thread link, and the virgin KV100 was 12.68 cSt which is right at the bottom end of 40 weight.

Last edited:
M1 10w40 4T starts at 13.4. Held grade last riding season over 5,345 miles in the ZRX1200. Two riding seasons previous it dropped just out of grade over a similar OCI. Stuck in between those two OCI’s, M1 20w50 V Twin went 5,065 miles and was solidly in the middle of grade. Can’t say enough about the M1 MC specific oils.

My local Walmart has the Supertech motorcycle and ATV oils selling for $4.98 a quart. Wonder if they are getting out of the MC oil business? Picked some Supertech 20w50 V Twin up to try some year down the line, but to this point I have not seen a UOA on any of those oils or able to find (maybe don’t know where to look?) a PDS on them. If there is a good ad-pack with zinc as the main contributor, I would go back and grab some more.

Back