Castrol or Chevron for Miata

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2001SE Miata has 33,000. I use Mobil 1 and 6000 mile changes as opposed to Castrol GTX and 3000 mile changes. I think the long term will be better when I have 200,000+ miles on the car. I base this on others experience with both of these oils as well as my own.

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
My 2001SE Miata has 33,000. I use Mobil 1 and 6000 mile changes as opposed to Castrol GTX and 3000 mile changes. I think the long term will be better when I have 200,000+ miles on the car. I base this on others experience with both of these oils as well as my own.

I don't have a Miata, but I used GTX for years and after Mobil 1, I'll never go back. Worth it.

Yes, I considered using synthetic, M1 comes to mind.
I live in SoCal, no weather issues to contend with.
Talking to the people in my Miata club, if the oil and filter is changed every 3,000 dino is fine.
Nick

Chevron noticeably reduced NVH in my Saturn compared to other oils. While I liked the Chevron product, I decided to give M1 a try. I switched from Chevron to M1 in this car so I wouldn't have to crawl underneath the thing every 4-5 weeks. And the MPG was helped out by using an oil (M1) that creates less friction than it's dino counterparts.

It's quite convienient to only have to change oil and filter twice a year!
cheers.gif

If you're staying with dino, GTX is fine.
In fact in my old worn SHO, Mobil 1 gave me idle oil pressure problems after being beaten on for a bit. GTX never did that (same visc. grades).

Chevron Distribution Center got the Delo 400 10-30, a step above the GTX, it's little protection from dino but a step below synthetic. Price wise, you can't go wrong comparing with synthetic..

I am spoiled on synthetic...With LC/FP and Delo..I can't see anyone going wrong with that combo...

I hope this hasn't been question hasn't been beaten to death.
I have a '01 Miata with 22,000 miles on the clock.
After about 500 miles I changed the oil to Castrol GTX 10-30.
I've changed the oil with a new factory filter close to every 3,000 miles.
Reading here, Chevron seems to be very popular.
Would there be any reason to start using Chevron over Castrol?
I don't auto cross, but I do like to keep the RPM's up to get the most out of the engine.
Thanks!
Nick

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Chevron's base oil is a tick better than Castrol's last time I got the skinny on both. I've forgotten where Castrol buys their base stocks from but Chevron's "iso-syn" is hydrocracked to a degree and either a very stable Group II or Group II+.

Chevron Supreme has the reputation for leaving engines cleaner than most Castrol products ... but this is anecdotal and Castrol could have updated their formula 2-3 times since then.

GrnZoom, I doubt you'd have any trouble with any dino oil with short (3,000 mile) drain intervals but my preferences are Chevron/Havoline and Pennzoil which uses a hydro treated base stock as well.

Quaker State, Castrol GTX and most others occupy a 2nd tier of brands (for me). Because of marketing decisions, Chevron and Havoline are less expensive than most other national brands.

I avoid Valvoline All-Climate because you are paying a premium for the name/marketing/image and it appears to have the weakest additive package of any oil in its class.

--- Bror Jace

I think this is a good summary of what I've read on this board.

-T

Thanks guys for your time and comments.
I still have a few quarts of Castrol to used up, after that I will probably go with Chevron.
I will keep reading and learning.
Nick

Chevron's base oil is a tick better than Castrol's last time I got the skinny on both. I've forgotten where Castrol buys their base stocks from but Chevron's "iso-syn" is hydrocracked to a degree and either a very stable Group II or Group II+.

Chevron Supreme has the reputation for leaving engines cleaner than most Castrol products ... but this is anecdotal and Castrol could have updated their formula 2-3 times since then.

GrnZoom, I doubt you'd have any trouble with any dino oil with short (3,000 mile) drain intervals but my preferences are Chevron/Havoline and Pennzoil which uses a hydro treated base stock as well.

Quaker State, Castrol GTX and most others occupy a 2nd tier of brands (for me). Because of marketing decisions, Chevron and Havoline are less expensive than most other national brands.

I avoid Valvoline All-Climate because you are paying a premium for the name/marketing/image and it appears to have the weakest additive package of any oil in its class.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back