Castrol Magnatec AU10W-40 instead of 5W-30 US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y_K

I've done that before on Shell, Castrol, Mobil sites around the world and am well aware of diff. What really surprised me in this case is even bigger diversity of options than before and especially for the front, rear differential and transfer case. Do they just want me to buy more products from them? or is it all based on extensive testing of each and every vehicle on the planet?

My production vehicle is at 472,632 miles, no consumption, had nothing but 0W-40 Mobil 1 since the 95,000 service, both differentials get Chevron Delo ESI 80W-90 and the transfer case is filled with Mobil Delvac 75W-90 (formerly known as SHC 75W-90)

=================================================== from the castrolmagnatec site
LX470, 4.7 Litre 2UZ-FE V8 Eng. 5-Speed Auto, 4x4 (2002-2008)
Crankcase
Service Refill Capacity: 6.8* Litres.
CASTROL EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 is a fully synthetic, SAE 5W-30, engine oil. It gives you the confidence to demand maximum engine performance from today's highly tuned four cylinder and latest technology engines, operating with tighter tolerances, requiring lower viscosity and stronger oils for variable service intervals. Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 is proven in tests to deliver outstanding oil strength.
or
CASTROL MAGNATEC 10W-40
Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 is suitable for petrol engines, direct and indirect injection engines, LPG and CNG cars, light commercial vehicles and 4WDs. Meets and exceeds API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 requirements. Now with ultra refined molecules for protection you can see, hear and feel. * As tested against the industry Sequence IVA wear test.
or
CASTROL GTX MODERN ENGINE 10W-30
Castrol GTX Modern Engine 10W-30 extends the life of your modern engine: Containing an anti-sludge formula that provides 25% better sludge protection compared to tough industry standards.Suitable for 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines built by most manufacturers from 1997. Provides superior protection for turbo chargers, multivalve systems and catalytic converter. Provides higher performance reserve for the longer oil change intervals and/or smaller sump sizes in modern cars. Meets and exceeds API SN/CF, ILSAC GF-4 requirement. Suitable for petrol, LPG or CNG cars, light commercial vehicles and 4WDs where API SN/CF or earlier specifications are recommended. *vs. API SN/CF Industry Standards.

Automatic Transmission
Service Refill Capacity: 3.0 Litres. See note 1412 below.

Differential
Service Refill Capacity: 3.3 Litres.
CASTROL AXLE LIMITED SLIP 90
Mineral gear oil recommended for cars and commercial vehicle axles operating under higher frictional loads, especially limited slip differentials and those experiencing clutch chatter. Meets Mack GO-J quality thermal stability requirement. SAE 90, API GL5
Power Steering

CASTROL ATF DEX III
An automatic transmission and power steering fluid for use in GM automatic transmissions pre 2005 and in many automatic transmissions where DEXRON® (II or III) or MERCON® performance is required.

4WD Transfer
Service Refill Capacity: 1.3 Litres.
CASTROL UNIVERSAL 80W-90
Manual transmission and differential fluid providing improved gear shift over a wide range of temperatures, particularly cold shift performance. Also suitable in secondary drive axles (front and rear) of 4WD's, for reduced drag and enhanced fuel efficiency, especially in around town service. SAE 80W90, API GL5.

4WD Differential
Service Refill Capacity: 1.7 Litres.
CASTROL AXLE EPX 80W-90
Extreme pressure, multi-purpose gear oil designed for the protection of heavily loaded steel gears. It is recommended for use in differentials, gear boxes and steering gears of passenger cars, light trucks, farm tractors and earthmoving equipment
Brake

CASTROL BRAKE FLUID DOT 3
A heavy duty brake fluid suitable for use in disc and drum brakes where a dot 3 fluid is required.

Manufacturer makes a specification, then Castrol offer alternatives.

Typically, they offer a range that can be found at a different number/type of vendors, from say the local chain auto parts store, to a rural produce store, to a wholesale outlet, to an auto garage selling inventory on consignment.

Not sure I answered your question 'though.

This is the Lexus badged Toyota Land Crusher, right?
472K+ and no current oil consumption seems like pretty good going. I'd say that you've gotten your money's worth out of this vehicle.
The reality is that most components requiring a lube, including the engine, will function just fine on a variety of grades and a variety of specs.
What's best?
Who knows?
In your case, you've gotten very good results with M1 0W-40 in the engine, which is not among the grades recommended by Toyota for US vehicles. Why wouldn't someone in Australia do just as well with an oil meeting similar specs, as both the Magnatec and Edge claim to do? Both claim to meet or exceed A3/B4.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Both claim to meet or exceed A3/B4.
Yes, the US manual doesn't say anything but 5W-30. Is TGMO also A3/B4? That's what brought my attention. Label Viscosity variation is one thing, but the A3/B4 suggests higher HTHS levels may be important and beneficial even for this 'easy' engine, if you really want to get your miles out of it.
Also, gear oil requirements by the manual are more linear and straightforward in US. My guess is that Castrol's recommendations are for the optimal match due to different nature of loads and engineering for the 3 units.

I'm quite sure that TGMO 5W-30 is a typical API spec 5W-30 and would have HTHS visc well below the 3.5 an A3 oil would have.
Your engine's long and apparently healthy life may or may not show that a higher HTHS visc oil is desirable from the standpoint of engine life.
We have another member who has around 100K less than you do on an old Lexus V-8 and he's used every oil under the sun that he could find cheaply on long drain intervals and he has a healthy engine as well.
Oil choice may matter, but it may not.

I'm not sure what you are questioning exactly. All the engine oils listed are allowable grades as stated in the owners handbook in Australia. There isn't an Edge 5w30 SN/GF5 to recommend. Toyota Australia suggest 10w30 as the best option and that is listed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supercity
I'm not sure what you are questioning exactly. All the engine oils listed are allowable grades as stated in the owners handbook in Australia. There isn't an Edge 5w30 SN/GF5 to recommend. Toyota Australia suggest 10w30 as the best option and that is listed.

They are not listed in my handbook in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back