Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

I'm not even sure there are any UOA's for the new full synthetic formulation or not. It has only been out for about six months.

oh really?
31.gif

let's see.. here's my VOA on the new Magnatec D1G2 5w30 full synthetic version..
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...a-castrol-magnatec-d1g2-5w30#Post4790192

and here's my UOA of the same..
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4996020/96-civic-5w30-castrol-magnatec

only problem I had was a lowering of viscosity due to short trips.

Originally Posted by kehyler

The 5w30 semi-synthetic Magnatec is no longer available?

yes it's right there on castrol's US website.. but remember the trade complaint mobil brought against castrol back in the day about what is "synthetic", doesn't have to be fully man-made to be marketed as synthetic. So they add 2% more "synthetic" (for example) and then call it as such. Where by any other measurements it's still a syn-blend. For me, I'd take highly refined organic oil that is called whatever marketing dreamed up and not worry about it.

The biggest question is HOW does it perform?

Originally Posted by weasley
"Product Performance Claims" is simply a way of categorsing what specification and approval claims are made for this oil. In this context, "claim" means statement of conformity rather than self-judged belief.

Your engine needs WSS-M2C946-B1, this oil meets WSS-M2C946-B1 - it's a perfect match.

I feel confident that Weasley knows what he is talking about.....he is employed in the lubrication industry

Originally Posted by CT8
The major oil companies put out great products I have no problem regarding their certifications or approvals or recommendations..

^^^^^^^

This here is absolutely right on. Great summarization.

Originally Posted by SR5
"Product Performance Claims" is simply a way of categorsing what specification and approval claims are made for this oil. In this context, "claim" means statement of conformity rather than self-judged belief.

Your engine needs WSS-M2C946-B1, this oil meets WSS-M2C946-B1 - it's a perfect match.

I feel confident that Weasley knows what he is talking about.....he is employed in the lubrication industry

^^^^^^

Totally spot on SR5. Weasley knows it forwards and backwards.

Last edited:
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
blush.gif
In July it'll be 27 years I've been at this game!

When it comes to this sort of thing, 'claim' is used in the technical sense rather than conversational sense. A claim is a statement of conformity, so if it is said that a product "claims Ford WSSM2C-946B1" then it means that the product holds the right to claim that specification (whether through formal approval or, where that is not offered, self-certified conformance).

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm trying to decide if Castrol Magnetic 5W-30 meets or exceeds the Ford specifications for my 2018 F150 w/2.7 ecoboost (Ford WSS-M2C946-B1). On the website, it states under "Product Performance Claims:" that it "meets Ford WSS-M2C946-B1" Anyone know what product performance claims means?

I'm drawn to this oil because of the good used oil analyses that it has received with ecoboost engines, but I want to make sure that it meets the spec officially.

Thanks,

-kehyler

You don't have a thing to worry about!

I am becoming convinced that Magnatec just gives consistent results test after test and it reminds me of the Couch Potato version of Investing as it is like putting your money in a good S&P Index mutual fund and over time you will be pleased with the results.

When it comes to this sort of thing, 'claim' is used in the technical sense rather than conversational sense. A claim is a statement of conformity, so if it is said that a product "claims Ford WSSM2C-946B1" then it means that the product holds the right to claim that specification (whether through formal approval or, where that is not offered, self-certified conformance).

Agreed. I can't say how data sheets word things in the UK, but similar wording is also used when an oil company is claiming conformity with an obsolete specification for which they simply cannot get approval, but for which some people may look on a label or a sheet. Some oil companies in Canada are very good at showing the difference between an obsolete specification being met, a current approval met but not formally obtained, a formal approval, and something that is self-certifying like ACEA.

Castrol says it "Meets Ford WSS-M2C946-B1".

So I'd interpret that to mean it has actually been tested against the test procedure that enables it to meet or not meet the Ford specification.

I'm going to try out the Magnatec in my 108,985 mile 2011 Ecoboost.

Just a quick observation on the packaging/labelling...

I see the 5qt jug mentions being SN+ rated but it doesn't have the SN+ logo, and the 1qt bottle has no mention of SN+ anywhere.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by bityw
I'm going to try out the Magnatec in my 108,985 mile 2011 Ecoboost.

Just a quick observation on the packaging/labelling...

I see the 5qt jug mentions being SN+ rated but it doesn't have the SN+ logo, and the 1qt bottle has no mention of SN+ anywhere.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dunno. I see a Dexos 1 Gen2 cert. Good enough for me. I wouldn't overthink the SN+ thing as I have NOT saw any that is SN+ yet. Magnatec is API SN so sleep well

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
IMO, D1G2>SN+ so no worries there. If it meets D1G2 it will meet SN+.

After blowing up the back of the jug, it states SN Plus and Dexos1/Gen2.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Yep, as good as it gets.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Yep, as good as it gets.

Unfortunately it doesn't meet the "WSS-M2C946-B1" spec that my engine requires
frown.gif

Yep, as good as it gets.

frown.gif

Per Castrol's website it does - thought that was already agreed to a long time ago in this thread. Find bottles that have been made recently.

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...ands/castrol-gtx-magnatec.html#tab_5w-30

API SN PLUS/ SN
ILSAC GF-5
GM dexos1® Gen 2*
Meets Ford WSS-M2C946-B1

It meets the Ford spec. Heck, with as often as it's referenced in conjunction with ecoboost engines it better be.

Yep, as good as it gets.

frown.gif

I believe the "B-1" nomenclature instead of the "A" for the Ford requirements reflects Ford changing some their oil requirements to SN+ from SN. SN+ has lower Calcium and higher Magnesium levels, which dexos1 Gen2 has already.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back