Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I'm trying to decide if Castrol Magnetic 5W-30 meets or exceeds the Ford specifications for my 2018 F150 w/2.7 ecoboost (Ford WSS-M2C946-B1). On the website, it states under "Product Performance Claims:" that it "meets Ford WSS-M2C946-B1" Anyone know what product performance claims means?

I'm drawn to this oil because of the good used oil analyses that it has received with ecoboost engines, but I want to make sure that it meets the spec officially.

Thanks,

-kehyler

Oils, and their formulations, change with some regularity. And so do the specs that they meet. It may be flawed perception on my part, but it does seem that they're changing with more regularity now than they used to ten or twenty years ago. At any rate, the only way to be 100% safe is to carefully note the required specs for your vehicle, as published in the manual that's in your vehicle, and cross-check that against every single bottle or jug of oil that you're about to purchase.

In Walmart this week I noticed some bottles of Supertech (Walmart house brand) 5w-20 were Dexos-1 and some were not. That's same brand, same grade, meets different specs. At least I think it was the 5w-20 -- there were so many I looked at -- yes, I'm addicted...
wink.gif
Anyway, check every bottle, every time.

The UOA's you're referring to aren't even the same oil, unfortunately. That was a blend, while the new stuff is full synthetic. Personally I would stick with approved oils under warranty but if out of warranty I would use it with confidence.

I wonder just how "full synthetic" Magnatec really is : with a pour point of only -36c that sure sounds like a semi syn to me. Meanwhile, for comparison, Edge 0w40 has a pour point of -57c. That's a much thicker oil but that pour point (to me) classifies it as "full syn", which it probably is. What is nice about the current Magnatec is the HTHS of 3.15 and a NOACK of 8.9.
I use both of these oils in 3.5 EB engines: the ‘17 Expedition gets the Magnatec, the ‘11 FX4 has been on the Edge 0w40 for close to 80k miles with no ill effects.

I say use the Magnatec with confidence.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
... In Walmart this week I noticed some bottles of Supertech (Walmart house brand) 5w-20 were Dexos-1 and some were not. ... At least I think it was the 5w-20 --...
Dexos-labeled Supertech or Magnetec 5W-20 would be news. The last time I looked, it was not---although 0W-20 and 5W-30 both were in both those lines.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by ekpolk
... In Walmart this week I noticed some bottles of Supertech (Walmart house brand) 5w-20 were Dexos-1 and some were not. ... At least I think it was the 5w-20 --...
Dexos-labeled Supertech or Magnetec 5W-20 would be news. The last time I looked, it was not---although 0W-20 and 5W-30 both were in both those lines.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-GTX-MAGNATEC-5W-20-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-QT/44580673

Originally Posted by kehyler
Hi All,

I'm trying to decide if Castrol Magnetic 5W-30 meets or exceeds the Ford specifications for my 2018 F150 w/2.7 ecoboost (Ford WSS-M2C946-B1). On the website, it states under "Product Performance Claims:" that it "meets Ford WSS-M2C946-B1" Anyone know what product performance claims means?

The Ford -B1 spec is new to meet LSPI requirements I believe. You definately want that for an ecoboost (DI with turbo).

If it says it meets the Ford spec then there shouldn't be any problem.

"Product Performance Claims" is simply a way of categorsing what specification and approval claims are made for this oil. In this context, "claim" means statement of conformity rather than self-judged belief.

Your engine needs WSS-M2C946-B1, this oil meets WSS-M2C946-B1 - it's a perfect match.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
The UOA's you're referring to aren't even the same oil, unfortunately. That was a blend, while the new stuff is full synthetic. Personally I would stick with approved oils under warranty but if out of warranty I would use it with confidence.

Mind sending me a link to the correct oil?

Originally Posted by weasley
"Product Performance Claims" is simply a way of categorsing what specification and approval claims are made for this oil. In this context, "claim" means statement of conformity rather than self-judged belief.
Your engine needs WSS-M2C946-B1, this oil meets WSS-M2C946-B1 - it's a perfect match.

I think the rub here might be in a subtle difference between US English and UK English...if you look at M1 5W30's PDS, it says "meets or exceed the requirements of" WSS-M2C946-B1 along with some others, which sounds solid to me. The word claim is often used in a somewhat negative context here, like "Steve claims he's the strongest man in the world!"...something that can easily be refuted if anybody bothered to look into it. I think it might not have such a connotation in UK English.

The thing to watch out for is an oil maker saying their product is "recommended for" applications requiring a certain standard, that's a sure sign that they haven't actually gone through the work to get a license.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by weasley

I think the rub here might be in a subtle difference between US English and UK English...if you look at M1 5W30's PDS, it says "meets or exceed the requirements of" WSS-M2C946-B1 along with some others, which sounds solid to me. The word claim is often used in a somewhat negative context here, like "Steve claims he's the strongest man in the world!"...something that can easily be refuted if anybody bothered to look into it. I think it might not have such a connotation in UK English.

The thing to watch out for is an oil maker saying their product is "recommended for" applications requiring a certain standard, that's a sure sign that they haven't actually gone through the work to get a license.

It might be, I'm only familiar with US English. Are you saying that Magnatec is written more in UK English, and that "claim" sounds more solid in UK English than it does in my exposure to it with US English?

It might be, I'm only familiar with US English. Are you saying that Magnatec is written more in UK English, and that "claim" sounds more solid in UK English than it does in my exposure to it with US English?

That's what I suspect, but maybe a Brit could chime in to tell me if I'm full of it.
Just in case you're not aware, Castrol is a subsidiary of BP (formerly British Petroleum).

As a Magnatec proponent and user I'll chime in . I ran the 5w30 semi-synthetic Magnatec on a Nissan 2.5 for a couple OCI when it first came out as a semi synthetic. It was fantastic. For the next OCI The the formula changed to Full synthetic and it was not special. My Field engineer ran it in a couple cars and he was not impressed either.

We look at: Fuel mileage, high rpm torque, lugging torque and smoothness ,engine noise, cold start /warmup noise and performance, absence of TC tensioner sticking.

Last oil run in the Nissan was the new 5w30 Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic. Very impressive on paper and in the engine.

The 0w20 version of Valvoline Advanced is in the wife's subaru to good effect.

side note: I've never liked Valvoline 5w30 synthetic performance before this new formulation across multiple trials.

The word "claim" in US labeling 'rules' means a lot. And labeling doesn't apply only to a product's sticker either - a product tech sheet, a TV commercial, magazine ad, etc all fall under labeling or marketing of a product. You see this a lot with "health" related products where companies get around FDA regulations by not "claiming" to be a medicine. And no, I'm not comparing medicine to engine oil but the labeling and marketing aspects still apply.

Castrol has had operations in the US, as well as BP having operations here, for long enough to understand the regulations here so I doubt it's a UK English vs US English oversight.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

As a Magnatec proponent and user I'll chime in . I ran the 5w30 semi-synthetic Magnatec on a Nissan 2.5 for a couple OCI when it first came out as a semi synthetic. It was fantastic. For the next OCI The the formula changed to Full synthetic and it was not special. My Field engineer ran it in a couple cars and he was not impressed either.

We look at: Fuel mileage, high rpm torque, lugging torque and smoothness ,engine noise, cold start /warmup noise and performance, absence of TC tensioner sticking.

Last oil run in the Nissan was the new 5w30 Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic. Very impressive on paper and in the engine.

side note: I've never liked Valvoline 5w30 synthetic performance before this new formulation across multiple trials.

The hypothetical brother/sister of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic is Castrol Edge (black), not Castrol Magnatec. So running a comparison is best-done with proper alignment of the brand.

I'm not even sure there are any UOA's for the new full synthetic formulation or not. It has only been out for about six months.

The major oil companies put out great products I have no problem regarding their certifications or approvals or recommendations..

Magnatec 5w30 US spec (updated 05/24/2018)
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/4E042401C11971F980258297004677F3/$File/BPXE-9UE8M3.pdf

I don't see any Ford's "...B" spec, only "A"

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

The 5w30 semi-synthetic Magnatec is no longer available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back