Castrol Import Trans Fluid A Good Substitution??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's time for me to change the transmission fluid on the old Honda Civic beater. I hate the whole Honda delearship experience. Even walking in there to buy parts is aggravating. Of course, Honda transmissions are known to be picky. Is the Castrol Multi-Import really a good substitution for the DW-1? I feel the DW-1 is too expensive.

I have used castrol import trans fluid in an 05 Toyota Camry and it works good, shifts like normal. Never tried on a honda

Castrol IMV ATF is suitable for BOTH the older Z-1 spec AND the
current DW-1 spec as well.

Not many other fluids actually claim
to meet DW-1 specs. I'd use it with confidence.

Castrol Import Multi is good, but their full synthetic version is better, if you can find it. If you're lucky, you'll be able to get it at Autozone on clearance for $5.

There's also Maxlife ATF, which is great stuff at a good price.

If your Walmart carries the gallon jug of Maxlife ATF, that would be the most cost effective option.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Castrol Import Multi is good, but their full synthetic version is better, if you can find it. If you're lucky, you'll be able to get it at Autozone on clearance for $5.

Wrong. Castrol Transmax FULL SYNTHETIC ATF is NOT suitable for use
according to Castrol in ANY Honda transmission period. Does not meet DW-1 or Z-1 specs.

MaxLife is questionable for Honda products, while their fluid does claim to meet Z-1, it doesn't meet DW-1 and I would be very wary of using full synthetic fluid in any Honda before the DW-1 spec arrived on scene.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Wrong. Castrol Transmax FULL SYNTHETIC ATF is NOT suitable for use according to Castrol in ANY Honda transmission period. Does not meet DW-1 or Z-1 specs.

Yes it is. Here is the PDS.

Quote:
MaxLife is questionable for Honda products, while their fluid does claim to meet Z-1, it doesn't meet DW-1 and I would be very wary of using full synthetic fluid in any Honda before the DW-1 spec arrived on scene.

Yes, it does. People have emailed Valvoline and got a response saying Maxlife meets DW-1 standards. Also, DW-1 is backwards compatible with all Honda automatic transmissions. Check out this thread.

If that's not good enough for you, and you still want it to say DW-1 on the bottle, there's always Smitty's synthetic ATF at Kmart
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
So it's time for me to change the transmission fluid on the old Honda Civic beater. I hate the whole Honda delearship experience. Even walking in there to buy parts is aggravating. Of course, Honda transmissions are known to be picky. Is the Castrol Multi-Import really a good substitution for the DW-1? I feel the DW-1 is too expensive.

I have used Castrol Multi-Vehicle Import in our Honda and Acura with excellent results.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Wrong. Castrol Transmax FULL SYNTHETIC ATF is NOT suitable for use
according to Castrol in ANY Honda transmission period. Does not meet DW-1 or Z-1 specs.

False post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back