Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone use or used CASTROL GTX 10w30 dino motor oil?Canadian tire had some on sale at a great price and i picked up some for my oil change with a free FRAM oil filter to boot and im just a leary on it.I normaly use valvoline for years (BUT) ?????? I read somewhere that castrol has quite a bit of varnish that clings to the oil cap and such.Thanks
confused.gif

good oil, as far as i understand. everyone here says it shows good UOA results. although that regular FRAM filter is probably not the best choice, as Triple_Se7en already stated. i believe the FRAM Tough Guard line is supposed to be pretty good though.

GTX is one of the better brand in conventional oil and the easiest u can buy from a store, but i prefer the High mileage one thou

i bought them last year at 9.99 with Fram filter, but now i sold the civic so i just use synthetic for my cars

Thanks guys i realy appreciate your help here.I never had any problems with FRAM oil filters just yet but will keep a eye on them

how can you keep an eye on them if its installed on your motor? by the time they screw up it will be too late. the only thing you will be eying is the very expensive damage bill when the motor sucks up a piece of the filter

Quote:

Mobil 1 has indeed released their industry-standard test results (in 2005 from an independent lab so they say) (TEOST test: oil's ability to resist the formation of deposits at high temperatures - part of API, Chrysler, Ford, and ILSAC certification - lower deposit score is better).

Mobil 1: 5.3
Castrol Syntec: 26.4 (~5 times more deposits than M1)
Mobil Clean 7500: 14.6 (yes, almost half vs Syntec)
Syntec Blend: 39.8 (273% more than Clean 7500)

Castrol GTX is a good oil. I use the high milage version in my 71 MGB. I know lots of folks hate Frams, but I have used them for 44 years. Never a problem.
coffeetime.gif

GTX is a good oil. Pretty hard to go wrong with any SM/GF-4 spec'd oil these days. Group II's make for very consistent quality.

FRAM filters are fine by me too. Been using them 30 years with good results.

Indy,

Welcome to BITOG!
welcome.gif

Castrol GTX is a excellent oil.

I've run it and have no varnish and my UOA was perfect after 5800 miles. Notice the TBN (which shows how much life is left in a oil. around 1 is bad..) is over 4 points.

Here is the UOA--> GTX run for 5800 miles winter use

Also, I have used Frams in the past (I do not now since there are just as good filters for a cheaper price) and one engine has 320k miles (US Miles) with never an problem. Its seen Frams about 95% of the time.

I cut open EVERY filter I've used in the past 30 plus years and never had one show any problems. Many of those are Frams.

Don't worry. Use the oil and filter and get on with it.
driving.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Thanks Bill in Utah for the welcome and your results.Its just i used valvoline for many years and had NO problems with their product and it got spooky pouring Castrol in my motor and thought ---- did i make a mistake because i wanted to try something different and wondered about the additives compared to valvoline.LOL everything is money these days and just wanted to keep my motor running tip top and out of the shop.Thanks again
cheers.gif

mikeg5 shut the >>>> up

"by the time they screw up it will be too late. the only thing you will be eying is the very expensive damage bill when the motor sucks up a piece of the filter "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back