Castrol GTX OCI ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, just picked up 5 litres of 5w30 Castrol GTX on sale. I have never used it before, is it any good? Can I run it for 6000 to 8000 miles in my Focus? Mostly highway driving 130 miles a day. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: aaxb970
Hi all, just picked up 5 litres of 5w30 Castrol GTX on sale. I have never used it before, is it any good? Can I run it for 6000 to 8000 miles in my Focus? Mostly highway driving 130 miles a day. Thanks!

In the winter in Canada? 6000 to 8000 miles is a stretch for me. Guess I'm just not brave.
It is a good oil though.

Personally, I've never liked GTX. Despite 5000km changes, it still began to sludge in the civic.(This was in the 90s)

My friend changed out the GTX to a syn oil and his girlfriend asked him "What'd you do to your car? It's way quieter?", when his GF had no idea he changed the oil the day before.

Just my personal opinion though!

With any Dino, I would stick to a 3000-4000 mile OCI.

Thats mee.

You could go to 4000-5000 miles, but thats all I would do.

How about REAL results?
48.gif

Car is a 2005 Corolla. Time? Winter. Oil? Castrol GTX 5w-30 SM for 5800 miles. 90% highway for 100+ miles per day commute.

TBN was done with the UOA.

Results are here --> Castrol GTX 5w-30 UOA

Would I run it 8000 miles? With a TBN of 4.4 @ 6k yes. And I'd bet the TBN would still be in the 2s.

It is a good oil. No sludge and my motor is clean as they come.
01.gif

Enjoy! bill

PS: Make a 5k run and do a UOA. See where you are at. GTX is the most expensive conventional here so I'd prob save the $4 for a jug and run Halvoline or Pennzoil, but GTX IS a good oil.

Originally Posted By: Bulli
you can probably go up to 5k miles.. thats the safe spot/

X2
thumbsup2.gif
GTX is very good conventiuonal oil but I wouldn't go past 5K either. 5K is the right time to change out conventional oil and it is the time to change filters anyway.

+1 on your UOA suggestion @ 5k, Bill. Sure would provide a definitive answer. Lots of interested parties in those results. Dino oil seems to improve every year, but where are the bargains?

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
+1 on your UOA suggestion @ 5k, Bill. Sure would provide a definitive answer. Lots of interested parties in those results. Dino oil seems to improve every year, but where are the bargains?
Gone...
frown.gif

Around here it was Checkers. You could (and I did) bank on 49 cent Chevron oil ALWAYS and 59 to 69 cent Pennzoil, QS and Halvoline.

Once they got bought out, the deals slowed down to stopped. Right now the "deal" on oil IMO is the 5 qt jug of Mobil 5000 for $10.22 at Wal-mart. Next would be the $10.48 5 qt jug of Supertech on to $12 jugs of Pennzoil, Qs, Halvoline and valvoline.

GTX is more here.

Nowhere near the deals we have seen in the past, but I'm afraid a year from now that will be a killer deal. (and we will be wishing for it)

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
William,

That Corolla will still be running 20 years from now.
56.gif

I'd have over a million miles on it.

I doubt there will be gas for it.

But it is a excellent car. I'm VERY happy with it. (except the @#^$ thin paint)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back