Castrol GTX Blend 5w30, 149 = VI index

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Last edited:
Probably has very few VIIs. There are other 5w30s with low VIs that we know don't have the improvers.

I followed your links and I get a VI of 156, average. Not sure where you are looking.

Castrol Syn Blend PDS

Castrol is so withholding of information its tough to surmise much of anything, but looking at the MSDS I get the impression it is at least 35% synthetic. The kv's at 40 and 100 coupled with the VI of 156 suggests to me its a slightly above average thickness 5w30, 3.1 - 3.2 HTHS maybe? Who knows if you can even trust their pds the HM one has been out of date for nearly two years.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I followed your links and I get a VI of 156, average. Not sure where you are looking.

Castrol Syn Blend PDS

Castrol is so withholding of information its tough to surmise much of anything, but looking at the MSDS I get the impression it is at least 35% synthetic. The kv's at 40 and 100 coupled with the VI of 156 suggests to me its a slightly above average thickness 5w30, 3.1 - 3.2 HTHS maybe? Who knows if you can even trust their pds the HM one has been out of date for nearly two years.

That is odd, i included that link because the original one i used (see below) would not open here. If it doesnt work again, i googled: GTX 5w30 Synblend pds. The first hit is where i found it. I actually just did it again and it says 149.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_castrol_gtx_synblend_2010.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Castrol Syn Blend PDS

I'm pretty sure to dexos approved (which it is), it should be at least 45-60 percent synthetic. I've noticed that Castrol oils in general tend to be a bit thicker, which might help it a bit in this case....

Looking at the one i posted again, its older than KCjeep's, 2010 vs 2012 - My error guys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back