Castrol Edge Vs. Edge extended performance?

I'm looking to run Edge in a gen 1 Coyote engine (F150) and wondered if anyone had any thoughts or views on that?

As well as thoughts on the Extended Performance version of Edge - i don't intend to extend drain intervals with it, nor am i looking to save money, but wondered what else it might bring as a result (i like changing oil)

Some Edge EP variations carry nice approvals, for example Edge EP 0w20 has the MB 229.71 approval which is one of the top 0w20 approvals in the industry. For the price you pay for the product that is probably the best thing about it and I would have zero issue using that product in any application for which it is recommended.

What is your OCI? If you're staying under 10k intervals I would just use Edge.

I use Edge in 5k intervals in my Ecoboost, but even Magnatec is fine at 5k.

My intervals are time based more often than not, I set the monitor to 50% so it 'forces' me at 6 months.

I'm basically fighting chemical changes over time, so I want the strong additive package and cleaning as it's just a big hot motor that doesn't normally do many miles.

I would just use the regular Edge based on what you wrote above. Its a very good synthetic oil.

If you are going to try 15k to 20k mile oil change intervals, the Edge Extended is the one to choose.

I'm looking to run Edge in a gen 1 Coyote engine (F150) and wondered if anyone had any thoughts or views on that?

As well as thoughts on the Extended Performance version of Edge - i don't intend to extend drain intervals with it, nor am i looking to save money, but wondered what else it might bring as a result (i like changing oil)
Why waste the oil by not doing extended drain intervals.

If you like changing oil go buy this and get it shipped for free.

The syn blend jug of 5w-20/30 and 10w-40 is just 11.99 and motorcraft oil is syn blend too.

Why waste the oil by not doing extended drain intervals.

If you like changing oil go buy this and get it shipped for free.

The syn blend jug of 5w-20/30 and 10w-40 is just 11.99 and motorcraft oil is syn blend too.

I don't know why i'd do extended intervals, i also don't understand the 'Extended Performance' version to specifically be for extending drain intervals. I want the best oil for the time i have it in the engine.

I don't want to go into the whole synthetic Vs. blend or conventional, i want all the benefits of synthetic, not specifically any ability to go more miles. Again i am not looking to save money or extend OCI's, i just want the best oil/additive package to stand up to a large and hot engine that can be under a lot of load at times as well as seldom running.

I'm also going to note that i'm currently running Shell RGT and it seems pretty good, but prices for it are high right now and everyone and their aunt keep telling me it's being discontinued.
So looking for a robust synthetic that will help a large hot engine prone to bearing and timing chain issues to replace it.

I don't know why i'd do extended intervals, i also don't understand the 'Extended Performance' version to specifically be for extending drain intervals. I want the best oil for the time i have it in the engine.

I don't want to go into the whole synthetic Vs. blend or conventional, i want all the benefits of synthetic, not specifically any ability to go more miles. Again i am not looking to save money or extend OCI's, i just want the best oil/additive package to stand up to a large and hot engine that can be under a lot of load at times as well as seldom running.
Primary benefits of a good full syn like castrol ep are the ability for extended drains and ability to protect better with less viscosity than usually is required than a lesser oil usually all at once but an Api SP rated syn blend is good enough and is to the level of what ford uses.

That's why a 0w-8 is feasible and why i can believe in them but now it's basically depending on very high end base stocks and more stout additive packs but its becoming illogical as the mpg savings are crushed by the much more expensive oil. A little bit more viscosity is the simple and easy way of protecting more without complicating things or increasing costs but the epa has prices for doing that.

I believe the newer fords now spec 5w-30 for the 5.0 and the older 1st gen can run anything. I remember when ford would call for 5w-50 instead of 5w-20 if you simply used it harder without any internal component changes in the mustang.

Shell rgt is known for having a good amount of moly which also allows a thin oil to protect very well. if you want a shell rgt substitute that id argue is better that has a lot of moly as well Valvoline Extended Protection is your best bet. id get either the 0w-20 or the 5w-30.

I'd seen some mention of RGT having more moly, you're saying the Valvoline extended protection is higher in moly too? Not the Edge EP though?

I've already moved to 5w30 from the singular specified 5w20 (CAFE enforced) so i'm just rounding it out with a nice additive package now as i see it.
Getting the better protection from the viscosity i have with a nicer additive package is about all i'm looking for, and well i guess keeping it clean.

I'd seen some mention of RGT having more moly, you're saying the Valvoline extended protection is higher in moly too? Not the Edge EP though?

I've already moved to 5w30 from the singular specified 5w20 (CAFE enforced) so i'm just rounding it out with a nice additive package now as i see it.
Getting the better protection from the viscosity i have with a nicer additive package is about all i'm looking for, and well i guess keeping it clean.
i believe the voa of valvoline Extended protection showed 300ppm of moly and its gotta claim those "x times better protection than competitors" somehow and moly does just that. i think it may be more than rgt which is around 170 if memory serves me well.

Interesting that i can't see them state a better protection thingy in their cliff notes, Castrol says 6x blah blah.

I was trying to find an Edge EP VOA in 5w30 to compare the moly but didn't see one - makes me curious if the nice moly package is what i'm after and what other oils have it.

Interesting that i can't see them state a better protection thingy in their cliff notes, Castrol says 6x blah blah.

I was trying to find an Edge EP VOA in 5w30 to compare the moly but didn't see one - makes me curious if the nice moly package is what i'm after and what other oils have it.
On the valvoline website I was seeing marketing stiff about it being better in wear protection and I believe it went as far as to state 10x on something. But I do think castrol ep does have moly but it's probably 100ppm at most.

Following up here, can anyone tell me the current cSt @100 for Edge EP? It seems to have changed several times over the last ten years, but the web page errors when i try to see the current data sheet.

Latest dated one i found unofficially shows 2017 and 10.7.

I created another thread a couple weeks ago asking about a shortage on Castrol Edge EP oil. I've been having hard time finding it. I thought maybe they were discontinuing it.
After visiting several stores I finally came across some and a Walmart.
I found 3 jjigs, all 0W-20, tucked away on the bottom shelf at my local Walmart.
They had lots of Castrol Edge in the black jug.
turns out when I paid for it the price of the EP was exactly the same price as the Castrol Edge.
The last job I purchased a while back at another Walmart it was on rollback and I paid $2512 for it.
This jug was 24.77 when I paid for it. On the receipt it has coding that says it's Edge EP oil.
My only regret now is not going back and buying the other two jugs.

EP and you may want to consider an Extreme pressure additive. I'm no chemist or expert...Referring to hyperlube Zinc Replacement Additive. It's not a snake oil.

Back