Castrol/BP Told To Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang, beat me to posting the news from Lube Report.
grin2.gif
So does this mean no more commercials of people getting covered in black goo? I loved the commercials. Oddly, though, they never made me want to buy Castrol....

Just buy SuperTech, or NAPA synthetic. You are not paying for phony marketing that way, and get a good honest product that works. MotorCraft is another good one, with no phony advertising, is cheap, and works well.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
You never know. But I've never heard of Penzzoil. Is that a new company?

LOL. Even a spellchecker program wouldn't have corrected that one.

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
Just buy SuperTech, or NAPA synthetic. You are not paying for phony marketing that way, and get a good honest product that works. MotorCraft is another good one, with no phony advertising, is cheap, and works well.

Just because the UOAs confirm this, it doesn't make it true.

Last edited:
Here is the thing. Castrol does no blend its oils in the US. They are subbed out. The margin is low and BP views it as a commodity that simply need marketing. I work on the upstream end of BP. (In other words my business pays child support to the lubes and fules businesses)..
Maybe one Day after sustained upstream profits BP will invest in downsram business (Retail crumbs such as Gasoline and lubes are low margin). Personally I would rather sell the lube [censored].
The NA formulations are nowhere the engineering marvels that the euro oils made by castrol are.

This is one reason I make no effort to buy Castrol. I would rather my employer sell the retail [censored] off and concentrate on Oil, Gas, solar and wind production.

Now if we could only get them to stop with the, "Think with your dipstick," shtick. That red-bearded Scottish Bozo comes anywhere near me... he's gonna get hurt!

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: tig1
Will the 4Xs and 8Xs adds be next for Valvoline and Castrol?

I doubt it. Those are probably true.

Pick and choose the truth.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Here is the thing. Castrol does no blend its oils in the US. They are subbed out. The margin is low and BP views it as a commodity that simply need marketing. I work on the upstream end of BP. (In other words my business pays child support to the lubes and fules businesses)..
Maybe one Day after sustained upstream profits BP will invest in downsram business (Retail crumbs such as Gasoline and lubes are low margin). Personally I would rather sell the lube [censored].
The NA formulations are nowhere the engineering marvels that the euro oils made by castrol are.

This is one reason I make no effort to buy Castrol. I would rather my employer sell the retail [censored] off and concentrate on Oil, Gas, solar and wind production.

+1

Sorry about the typos in many recent post. I need to get reaquanted with spell check but this is my one informal indulgence.

Last edited:
Karma is a great thing is it not. I bet the guys at Royal Purple are laughing their tuckusses off right now.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Here is the thing. Castrol does no blend its oils in the US. They are subbed out. The margin is low and BP views it as a commodity that simply need marketing...

I had an Air BP rep tell me that American Refining blends and bottles Castrol Aviator oils for BP. Does American Refining do Castrol automotive lubricants as well?

Marketing is the American way. There has to be a reason conventional Castrol, Pennzoil and Valvoline are regularly retail priced about $1 a quart more than Chevron, Exxon and Shell. It cant be as bad as beer, but what percentage of the price is for marketing?

Last edited:
People should be equally concerned about the promotion of non-approved ATFs and gear oils using unsupported performance claims in the marketing.

Well, with all due respect, Whitewolf ....

While I can surely see the OEM being the most authoritative and qualified to specify their ATF ...it invites the fully intended co-effects.

Bear with me here. If you give a dog a bone every time he rolls over ..he's going to roll over every time he wants a bone.

That is, if licensing new fluids is a integrated part of the revenue stream ..the by gosh darn ..there's going to be a pretty good incentive to come up with new ones every so often just for the $$$ of it. It won't necessarily have to produce any real value ...or it may. I do understand that no R&D team is going to hand in their ID badges and say "Okay, we're done. Lay us off."

If you see what I mean.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Well, with all due respect, Whitewolf ....

While I can surely see the OEM being the most authoritative and qualified to specify their ATF ...it invites the fully intended co-effects.

Bear with me here. If you give a dog a bone every time he rolls over ..he's going to roll over every time he wants a bone.

That is, if licensing new fluids is a integrated part of the revenue stream ..the by gosh darn ..there's going to be a pretty good incentive to come up with new ones every so often just for the $$$ of it. It won't necessarily have to produce any real value ...or it may. I do understand that no R&D team is going to hand in their ID badges and say "Okay, we're done. Lay us off."

If you see what I mean.
55.gif

I understand why your opinion may be such, but I'm afraid I don't agree!

I think you're underestimating the magnitude of the resources (monetary and otherwise) required in order to develop a new fluid, including the development of the specification and the tests necessary in order to ensure that qualified fluids comply with the increasingly stringent quality requirements. Therefore, the idea (particularly in the current economic climate) that an OEM would simply change specs for a comparatively minor monetary gain is not realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back