Castrol 5w-40 Edge at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed that local Walmart had Castrol 5w-40 Edge on the shelf.
How would this be expected to perform in a ‘17 Hyundai Sonata 2.0Turbo?

About the same as any other high quality synthetic oil will perform
I would use it without question.
You are in WGa and winters are not terribly cold and summers can get hot so that oil will work just fine

In a DI engine, SA should be about 0.8 or less to avoid valve stem carbon & ash deposits, according to oil formulators and many engine makers. This Edge is a full saps oil. Other than that, and if you're willing to take the chance, it would work well with only a small 1% hit in fuel economy compared to using a 5w30 hths 3.0 oil.
I'd use Mobil1 Annual Protection 5w30 in your engine due to the dexos1 turbocharger test it passes (the GMTC is very tough) if you're looking for extra performance here.
Many people just want a bargain cheaper oil, and SuperTech 5w30 dexos1 is very cheap.

Originally Posted by GooseGestapo
Noticed that local Walmart had Castrol 5w-40 Edge on the shelf.
How would this be expected to perform in a ‘17 Hyundai Sonata 2.0Turbo?

Get Castrol 0W40 that is also available in Wal Mart or Mobil1 0W40 FS. far better oils than Castrol 5W40. If you going for Euro oils, always look that they have MB 229.5 or MB 229.51 specification. Another good choice is Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 also available in Wal mart.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Why not run a quality, true synthetic 30 multigrade
Like a Motul X-max?

I can answer that. It's because for half the price or less you can get an oil at Walmart that has equivalent performance. Can you prove otherwise?

Like a Motul X-max?

But for cost and hyundai forced early OCI.

Probably the very best reason is Motul X is twice yes twice as expensive with no reason to really believe its twice as good.

Agree.
Not many "that's not a synthetic" purists here spend $12/quart and actually run it to death.

My concerns are still fuel diluted oil when starting out thin on day one.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Agree.
Not many "that's not a synthetic" purists here spend $12/quart and actually run it to death.

My concerns are still fuel diluted oil when starting out thin on day one.

Yes and oil isn't going to cure a manufacturers Engineered in engine problems. Its time for them to step up to their problem instead of pushing it back on the consumer.

"SA should be about 0.8 or less to avoid valve stem carbon & ash deposits" - please elaborate on this spec , where to find it in oil makers on line , data , etc ??

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
"SA should be about 0.8 or less to avoid valve stem carbon & ash deposits" - please elaborate on this spec , where to find it in oil makers on line , data , etc ??

Like literally every oil manufacturer has that data online.

Like a Motul X-max?

Motul went Group III too. And even previous "true" synthetics were of mediocre performance. X-Clean 5W40: PAO with -39 pour point, cst 13.9 and HTHS 3.64? Not numbers to brag about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Like a Motul X-max?

Motul went Group III too. And even previous "true" synthetics were of mediocre performance. X-Clean 5W40: PAO with -39 pour point, cst 13.9 and HTHS 3.64? Not numbers to brag about.

Sure enough …
Gives rise to the subject of base stock poker folks like to play here … but the blue chips are OEM specs in this game …

Originally Posted by kschachn
Like a Motul X-max?

I can answer that. It's because for half the price or less you can get an oil at Walmart that has equivalent performance. Can you prove otherwise?

You're always asking people to prove things. Let's see your actual proof that the cheaper oils have equivalent performance. Price is not a factor. And I'm talking about actual figures, such as additive numbers when the oil is new and after oil changes and also TBN numbers before and after.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Like a Motul X-max?

Probably the very best reason is Motul X is twice yes twice as expensive with no reason to really believe its twice as good.

It's foolish to say something should be twice as good just because the price may be twice as much.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

You can say much the same about Amsoil.... And a few others.

Use any Synthetic with C3, A5/B5, A3/B4, A3/B3, d1G2 or SN Plus with confidence.

My wife's 2013 (bought in 2012) Santa Fe Sport 2.0T has run more Non-SN Plus, d1G2 oils than anything else by nature of its model year. It used to get a steady diet of Valvoline Synpower's high Calcium, high Sodium oil with zero issues. I say this to paint a picture of how stout this engine can be. It isn't a low displacement turbo that suffers LSPI. She used to drive much longer distances to work but its always seen at least 60% city duty so the severe service schedule has always been in play. She now drives 10 miles round trip daily, in heavy traffic.

100% Chevron fuel but not necessarily 93 octane. It gets 87 at times.

It has well over 190K issue free miles.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by edyvw
Like a Motul X-max?

Sure enough …
Gives rise to the subject of base stock poker folks like to play here … but the blue chips are OEM specs in this game …

Approvals is all that matters. You are right. Motul is one of those true synthetics that prove that final product is what matters:
Motul X-Clean 5W40: cst 13.9, HTHS 3.64
Mobil1 Formula ESP 5W30: 12.1cst, HTHS 3.58, Nocak 5.6% (Group III).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back