Castrol 5w-30 Euro A3/B4 vs 5w-30 US

Probably because, the low SAPS oils with the VW 504.00/507.00 labeling are formulated for emissions systems protection. That’s what the “ESP” signifies in Mobil 1 ESP.
Does an EB have a special emissions system that needs protected?

Does an EB have a special emissions system that needs protected?
They do have catalytic converters, just like the European cars. The labeling includes catalytic converters and diesel particulate filters.

Attachments

• DE0309E7-2BF6-4E65-81E5-5FBAF7081C65.png
    DE0309E7-2BF6-4E65-81E5-5FBAF7081C65.png
    198.7 KB · Views: 20
They do have catalytic converters, just like the European cars. The labeling includes catalytic converters and diesel particulate filters.
I get that, but like you said European cars, particularly ones requiring an A3/B4 full SAPS oil, have cats as well.

European emission regulations changed and the low saps oils came along to meet the requirements.

Last edited:
Yep, Phillips 66, Kendall Oil and Red Line Oil are all Phillips 66 products. Yes, Motorcraft is still made by Phillips 66. The Red Line Professional Series (OEM) products line are similar to the Phillips 66 Shield Valor and Kendall GT-1 Max lines. However, the Red Line Professional Series 5W30 lists a slightly higher HTHS of 3.2.
Are you saying Red Line is owned by P66? Or that it uses P66 formulas?

Much like the EPA driven emissions here, it seems the push towards low saps oils in europe is strictly emissions driven vs any engine benefits over a full saps oil :unsure:

In my understanding low saps oils are more for turbo diesel engines rather than gasoline engines, unless your vehicle specifically says to use a low saps oil.

Some euro cars have GPF gas particulate filters which is where the low saps is desired as far as I know
That makes more sense to me why a gasoline engine would specifically call for a low saps formulation.

I've read a lot about LSPI......to my understanding it's almost always seen in 4 cylinder TDI engines and not V6 or V8 TDI engines. Is there a specific reason for this ? I've read about V6 EcoBoost engines grenading themselves, but 95% of the time this is due to having a "HOT" tune loaded and not LSPI related. However the web is full of 4 cylinder engines that have come apart due to LSPI.

Didn’t know that. Still both better option, especially M1.
Yeah 2017+ 3.5L and 2018+ 2.7L and 5.0's have both port and direct injection. At least on the Ecoboosts, the port injectors are always functioning somewhat but are used for majority of the fueling at low rpm/load.

I've read a lot about LSPI......to my understanding it's almost always seen in 4 cylinder TDI engines and not V6 or V8 TDI engines. Is there a specific reason for this ? I've read about V6 EcoBoost engines grenading themselves, but 95% of the time this is due to having a "HOT" tune loaded and not LSPI related. However the web is full of 4 cylinder engines that have come apart due to LSPI.
The early 3.5L Ecoboosts in the F150 had issues with condensation build up in the intercooler. If the owner drove it like a grocery getter instead of a truck, it would build up to the point that, when they finally did hit the gas, it would suck a plug of water/oil/etc into the engine. I think that was what killed a lot of them.

They actually don't seem to fail that much from tuning. I don't remember the last time I saw an engine failure that wasnt at extreme limits pushing almost double the factory hp.

The early 3.5L Ecoboosts in the F150 had issues with condensation build up in the intercooler. If the owner drove it like a grocery getter instead of a truck, it would build up to the point that, when they finally did hit the gas, it would suck a plug of water/oil/etc into the engine. I think that was what killed a lot of them.

They actually don't seem to fail that much from tuning. I don't remember the last time I saw an engine failure that wasnt at extreme limits pushing almost double the factory hp.
Where did all that condensation come from?

Back