CASTOR SOLVENCY in a 2T racing product

Intro: When formulating a 2T racing oil, Castor Oil has been popularly used in most all well known products. Elf, Eni, Klotz, XPS, Maxima, Vroaam, etc have all used Castor at around a 20-25% blend rate. Castor has a solvency issue with most* base oils and will fall out of suspension at around 55F...and once its mixed with racing fuels that have higher alkylate contents and lower RVP values, (which is a large portion of VP, Sunoco and Aspen's product offerings)... then the castor will typically seperate at around room temperature. The most common solution is to use a solvent with a high aromatic content which generates some polarity in the oil blend. These are very cheap, but wreck the viscosity of the finished product blend (without the use of a viscosity modifier like PIB). A better end product would be one formulated without solvents. Note that if you use pump gas for your "racing fuel", these have higher aromatic content, higher RVP,...then solvency becomes a non issue...even to 0 degree F temps. I should also note that a couple of those brands mentioned above have castor separation problems with the above mentioned high alkylate content fuels... I won't name names.

Here are my thoughts on solutions to help solvate the castor w/o wrecking the viscosity:

1. The use of naphthenic base oils helps some... but not much. Perhaps a couple degrees of improvement before separation occurs. A high viscosity naphthenic base oil with a high sulfur content will help some as well.

2. I'll admit, my knowledge of all the different Ester product offerings is limited... Cargill, Dehylube, Exxon, NYCO, etc all make a VAST array of product offerings. These arent cheap. These products have great film strength and help the solvency some*. I'm sure there are some products that help solvency more than others..im not sure which ones though. Some, (or perhaps all) of these may be cost prohibitive base on their blend mix rate. TMP is the most commonly used product for 2T applications. I need to experiment more with these types of base oils and products.

3. King Industries, Exxon, and a few other companies make AN's. I have no experience with these. They tout better solvency. I know they are used at ~10% in some group III and PAO blends to help solvate other additives. I presume the benzene rings present in the solvents that help solvate the castor oil (as mentioned in my intro,) are serving the same purpose as the benzene rings in an AN. This might be a more attractively priced option if it works well.

4. Another option? comment below. Maybe a Polyalkylene Glycol?

Also,
The use of PIBSA is also an option...but the end use of this oil if for engines that rev to 18,000, and the tack properties of PIB have a known problems of inducing too much heat into the big end conrod bearing. These burn clean, but I dont think are a good use for this particular application...maybe for outboard engines...but not racing engines...I'd highly prefer to not use PIBSA. The ~$20-$25/gallon cost is unattractive as well.

It's important to note that the main determining factor for which "coupling agent" product to use to help solvate the castor is the cost/ounce divided by the treat rate. (without using a solvent)

Last edited:
Interesting post,

I know that some older blends used castor oil, but was unaware that modern oils still use it. Maxima castor 927 and Klots beanol come to mind.

While I've done 2 stroke oil testing in the distant past, it was for racing outboard engines, and the RPM's we achieved were modest by modern standards. In my SeaDoo modification/racing days, ring wear over the exhaust port was a massive problem. Regardless of oil choice, rings would last a handful of hours and not much more. The best solution for both power and lifespan was always more oil and not so much the choice of oil. Heck, we even tried Golden Spectro as the folks who made the stuff made some very bold claims (It didn't help and smoked like crazy). The company was nearby to my childhood home town, and they'd provide 2 liter soda bottles full of the stuff for a great price for us to test.

I've long since retired from racing, and recently retired from my aviation job. I'd love to hear your views on various modern oils.

In the end, like so many other racers and engine builders, castor oil was replaced by synthetics. Reliability improved and we never looked back.

I still have half a gallon of the Mobil 1 2t product that was common a decade or more ago. It has performed quite well in my very pedestrian equipment.

PAO, TMP, group 3, and probably even group 2 and group 1 base oils perform better than castor under normal bearing temperatures. The only relevance castor has these days is when things get super hot. Otherwise the industry would have ditched them a long time ago. Also the cost of PAO's, Esters like Exxon NP343, Priolube 3905, etc, make them cost prohibitive (at $30-$40/gal) in 2t applications that are once through systems. In enclosed sumps that's a difference story...

The solution I'm looking for is a non-solvent product that generates the most London dispersion forces (
{\displaystyle A}
of LDF) between the castor and the rest of the fuel/oil mixture for the least cost per necessary treat rate. I'm curious if some of you might have some experience here?

In a formula:
cost$ / fluid ounce /
{\displaystyle A}
of LDF generated ( just a technical/fancy way of putting a metric to the treat rate)

Last edited:
Back