Cartridge versus spin on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Mazda3 2.3L hatch back. I did the spin-on filter conversion and have never looked back. While the cartridge filter was cool in the respect of being able to inspect the filter media at each oil change, but I hated the mess that the filter created. Yes it had a drain plug, but no matter how fast I was at removing that sucker, oil would run down my arm and all over my floor as well.

But the big reason I did the spin-on conversion was the fact that the cartridge filter's cap was made of plastic. I just couldn't get the thought out of my head that after thousands and thousands of heat/cool cycles, that black plastic filter cap would fail, and do so catastrophically!

If the cap was made out of aluminum, I would probably still have my cartridge filter. But with the spin-on, I don't even spill a drop of oil any more, and that's a pretty big statement regarding the Mazda 2.3L.

Last edited:
I really enjoy the mazda2.3 filter system - I have zero mess compared to the spin ones of before - I let the filter drain 10-15 mins - while the oil sump is draining - when I remove the filter it is done dry - I am really looking forward to AUTO Rxing this engine - I am doing 2 OCI's before RXing it.

Also the plastic must be heat resistant probably of the same material as the intake manifold - which is also plastic on this car.

The biggest PITA is the huge plastic shield underneath the car, removing that is a pain.:)

Originally Posted By: nicholas
I really enjoy the mazda2.3 filter system - I have zero mess compared to the spin ones of before - I let the filter drain 10-15 mins - while the oil sump is draining - when I remove the filter it is done dry - I am really looking forward to AUTO Rxing this engine - I am doing 2 OCI's before RXing it.

Also the plastic must be heat resistant probably of the same material as the intake manifold - which is also plastic on this car.

The biggest PITA is the huge plastic shield underneath the car, removing that is a pain.:)

cut a hole ... to access filter \\

I wonder why none made aluminum housing for that filter ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back