Cartridge Style Oil Filters

I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler that uses a cartridge style oil filter and I’m a bit confused how it works. Are the anti drain back and oil bypass functions built into the engine versus spin off replaceable canister filters where these functions are built into the filters themselves. Thanks again for your assistance

Engines that spec a spin-on canister filter typically have bypass valves inside the engine as well, that's my understanding.

Engines that spec a spin-on canister filter typically have bypass valves inside the engine as well, that's my understanding.
I don't think "as well". Example is older GM engines have the filter bypass in the block, so the filters specified for those engines didn't have a bypass valve in the filter.

I'd bet that a valve built into the engine, designed to last the life of the engine, will be more reliable than one designed to last the life of a cheap spin-on filter.

On the 2014+ Pentastars, the bypass valve is built into the cap. That is why it is important to not pull out the old filter or install the new one off axis.

Back