Cartridge Filter Question

The Toyota filters get larger with larger engines. Like the 90915-yzzd3 is like a Fram 3600. The 1mz-fe gets a d1=3614, and so on.
My Tundra had a really big one. Ironically my newest Camry has a smaller filter than my middle aged one, both are 2.5L engines but the hybrid went back to a filter that fits my '99. Which works for me, one less part on the shelf.

I've always wondered why Toyota uses such small filters, even on it's larger engines and still want you to go 10k miles on it.
I've never seen any data regarding filter loading to know if size actually matters or if it's just to make people feel better. How dirty does an oil filter get after 10,000 miles?

I've never seen any data regarding filter loading to know if size actually matters or if it's just to make people feel better. How dirty does an oil filter get after 10,000 miles?
I've been curious too. I'm not sure if there is microscopic loading in mine--or not.

But some of the videos of oil taken to ridiculous age certainly have plugged filters.

Depends on the engine health, use conditions and OCI length. More media (of the same type) gives more holding capacity, and more headroom with debris loading before the bypass valve opens. I think filter designers are trying to reduce the filter size as much as possible just to save some production cost and increase profits.

The Legend has a cartridge filter. In '88 Honda went with a can. At one time I wanted the convenience of a can; switching over to a can is just swapping the filter adapter.

I have a new adapter but I think I'll just keep the cartridge until the filters are discontinued.

Back