Cars with multiple tire pressures listed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at page 27 of your owners manual. You'll see a chart by tire size and by vehicle load that will tell you exactly where to set the tire pressure. It looks like this.

Tire size nloaded Fully loaded
245/40 ZR 18 35 (240) 44 (300)
275/35 ZR 18 38 (260) 48 (330)
235/45 R 17 94 H M+S 35 (240) 38 (260) 39 (270) 46 (320)

For some reasom the M&S tires have different settings for front and rear on the loaded and unloaded

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
What I find curious is why Europeans are given the option of running two different pressures based on how the tires are used, whilst the USA audience is given a single recommendation that sits half way (roughly) between the two Euro options....

I suspect that there is a difference assumed for an American vs European buyer's likelihood of wanting convenience vs precision respectively.

Otherwise perhaps the suspensions are different

Why have 1 placard for 2 countries? I've seen plenty of placards for differences in weight and speed, but never for different countries (I presume the options for speed were for Germany as the listed speeds were not legal elsewhere).

My sense is that yours is a result of a particular German engineer obsessed with efficiency and therefore overlooked the fact that there was going to be a Canadian BITOG member who would buy an M5, let alone Americans who would get confused.

Originally Posted By: bar1
Originally Posted By: MarkStock

...I think they would have given it, especially for Germany where winter tires are mandatory...

Germany...winter? Are you kidding...
grin.gif
If your talking Europe, look at what is recommended in Scandinavia or Russia, areas/countries that has real winter conditions.

I think you've taken what I've said out of context.

The OP was wondering what to set the tire pressure at for winter tires.

I said that if there was any performance difference between summer and winter tires that justified a different spec, then BMW would have provided it since Germans typically use winter tires.

Nothing to do with how severe the winter is.

Originally Posted By: dla
Look at page 27 of your owners manual. You'll see a chart by tire size and by vehicle load that will tell you exactly where to set the tire pressure. It looks like this.

Tire size nloaded Fully loaded
245/40 ZR 18 35 (240) 44 (300)
275/35 ZR 18 38 (260) 48 (330)
235/45 R 17 94 H M+S 35 (240) 38 (260) 39 (270) 46 (320)

For some reasom the M&S tires have different settings for front and rear on the loaded and unloaded

I've been running the rec that mostly seems to mirror my setup (1 or two adults in the car, nothing in the trunk) which is the lower spec of the euro pressures.

What you've posted above is how it is displayed on the placard as well, but with the addition of "USA" pressures, which give no notes for loaded or unloaded, just a sweeping recommendation.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock
What I find curious is why Europeans are given the option of running two different pressures based on how the tires are used, whilst the USA audience is given a single recommendation that sits half way (roughly) between the two Euro options....

I suspect that there is a difference assumed for an American vs European buyer's likelihood of wanting convenience vs precision respectively.

Otherwise perhaps the suspensions are different

Why have 1 placard for 2 countries? I've seen plenty of placards for differences in weight and speed, but never for different countries (I presume the options for speed were for Germany as the listed speeds were not legal elsewhere).

My sense is that yours is a result of a particular German engineer obsessed with efficiency and therefore overlooked the fact that there was going to be a Canadian BITOG member who would buy an M5, let alone Americans who would get confused.

Suspensions were identical for the car regardless of the target market, so we can strike that one from the list.

My leaning is toward your first point, and that is that Americans are unaccustomed to running different pressures based on how they load a vehicle and subsequently they just came up with a "compromise" that would work regardless of how the vehicle was loaded because it would never see the sustained high speeds that it would in Germany.

When all else fails do the old hot rodder trick and read your burnout marks. When you leave marks it should be a nice uniformed black mark across the width of the tire.

Too dark on the edges and you are under inflated.
Too dark in teh middle and you are over inflated.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I always run the max on the sidewall

Why the heck would you do that? That's the maximum for the TIRE, not the recommended pressure set by the manufacturer of the VEHICLE.

Two very different things......

Why wouldn't I do it? I've never had any tire wear caused by tires run at the max, never had a blow out and never shredded a tire.

The manufacturers go for comfort.

I do run my Jeep tires at 15 off road. However, i inflate them to 45 for driving down the road. At 60-80 the jeep starts to bounce

Last edited:

I checked a friends car the other day and he also had his tires set to the tire sidewall max(44psi)... Funny thing was the only part of the rear tire touching the driveway was pretty much the center of the tire. LOL...

I lower them down to 35PSI and he had better traction and the car road better. The Manufacture placard stated 32 psi...

Why the heck would you do that? That's the maximum for the TIRE, not the recommended pressure set by the manufacturer of the VEHICLE.

Two very different things......

Why wouldn't I do it? I've never had any tire wear caused by tires run at the max, never had a blow out and never shredded a tire.

The manufacturers go for comfort.

I do run my Jeep tires at 15 off road. However, i inflate them to 45 for driving down the road. At 60-80 the jeep starts to bounce

The spec on the tire is for the maximum weight the tire can handle, not the vehicle it is being fitted to.

The manufacturer spec is set for a combination of ride quality, traction and proper wear characteristics.

i don't see the problem OVERK1LL.. isn't Canada in the USA?
grin.gif

So I'm trying to figure out what pressure to run in the M5 for the winter. And before somebody has a smart comment about checking the placard, the placard lists three different pressure settings for the car:

1. USA: 40/44
2. Europe: up to 4x passengers: 34/38
3. Europe: fully loaded to capacity: 44/48 (IIRC)

I'm currently running #2, as that's what I ran in my summer tires. The tire shop had set the fronts to 38, the rears to 36..... LOL

I'm just not sure on what pressure would yield the best winter traction
21.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
i don't see the problem OVERK1LL.. isn't Canada in the USA?
grin.gif

So I'm trying to figure out what pressure to run in the M5 for the winter. And before somebody has a smart comment about checking the placard, the placard lists three different pressure settings for the car:

1. USA: 40/44
2. Europe: up to 4x passengers: 34/38
3. Europe: fully loaded to capacity: 44/48 (IIRC)

I'm currently running #2, as that's what I ran in my summer tires. The tire shop had set the fronts to 38, the rears to 36..... LOL

I'm just not sure on what pressure would yield the best winter traction
21.gif

I was waiting for that one.... LOL!!

Maybe it is wrongly depicted. On my MB cars, it gives me one pressure as a base case, then another pressure if fully loaded, then an additional pressure for high speed driving.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Maybe it is wrongly depicted. On my MB cars, it gives me one pressure as a base case, then another pressure if fully loaded, then an additional pressure for high speed driving.

This has the USA in its own section. I'll snap a pic of it tomorrow if I remember
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Am confident the inflation for USA is gas mileage related.

A limited production hi-po car? I don't even think CAFE applies to those.... I'm doubting this. Like Ford with the BOSS 302, Shelby....etc that all spec 5w50...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

My E430 has 2 pressures, one for speed below 100 MPH and another pressure up to 10 PSI more on the rear tires for sustain speed above 100 MPH. I pumped the tires up on log trips, therefore I have to cruise at triple digit.
grin2.gif

A limited production hi-po car? I don't even think CAFE applies to those....

Remember it's Corporate Average Fuel Economy - which means the AVERAGE of ALL cars.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

A limited production hi-po car? I don't even think CAFE applies to those....

Remember it's Corporate Average Fuel Economy - which means the AVERAGE of ALL cars.

Certainly, but when the production figure for said car is 10,000 units over 5 years, the effects on CAFE are essentially nil. This is again why I cited the Ford examples I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back