Carquest Red 85516, 85085 or 85515 cut open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have to switch filters on my Jeep for this OCI as the current experiment may not work out. Always interested in experimenting I have been looking at the Carquest Red filters with interest. I can't find any of the 3 sizes I posted (all of which will fit my Jeep) cut open anywhere on the net, at least not the new Fram versions.

Anyone cut any of those in the new Fram made Reds?

I did put one of the Red 85085's on our church van seems to work well but have not seen any internals.

Great write up WellOiled.

I was hoping to find something in the sizes I mentioned but I had not seen yours and it is still helpful. It appears the Carquest Reds be a little short on pleats like an orange can tends to be. That is what I was wanting to know.

I may buy one and cut it virgin, or just run it and cut it I'm sure it'll work fine kinda ugly or not.

In other filters including the orange can, the FL-400s equivalent tends to have more pleats for some reason (would be the CQ 85516) maybe I'll try one of those.

Each part number is unique and peoples results may differ. In this case, the filter specified for the GC is about the same height and diameter. The only big difference was the thread size. This may have been 1 in 1,000,000 with wide pleat spacing.

What is the filter orientation on the GC 4L?

It's horizontal. Part of the reason I have been through so many filters to test as my Jeep suffers from lifter bleed down, but some filters will keep it at bay 99% of the time. But it has been fun.

I may cut a few of these for fun it's cheap.

I am likely to reopen the chapter on CQ Red or CQ Blue. I am 1500 miles into the last change and I am hearing almost a second of startup rattle on a WIX 51372 with the Ranger sitting overnight.

At the 5000 mile mark I plan to change oil stone cold so I can check and see if the filter kept the inlet/outlet galleries full or not. I'll need a second drain pan so I can measure what comes out of the inlet side and what comes down from the mounting nipple.

Lifter bleed down can be a real drag. My neighbor had a previa minivan with 6 of 8 lifters that would not pump up. The dealer was not trouble shooting. He spent too much on unnecessary repairs.

Mine is only one of that I am sure, and the right ADBV will prevent it 99 percent of the time. I ain't touching it.

I did one off my Jeep a while ago. I also have a damaged xx9688 equivalent I could cut and post for you.

If you want to experiment, try Purolator.
laugh.gif

Another I'm interested in is the German Mann that Napa sells.. 35 psi bypass though. AAP sells them too just not sure if it mentions it as a filter for that application.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Yes. The start up chatter was pretty severe.

It was on for less than a week IIRC.

Zikes! Thanks for the update, I had forgotten that. If your Jeep didn't like it I highly doubt mine would either.

I still had the WIX 51372 that I did the virgin cut & post on. So, I tried to dissect the base plate a little further. I was able to confirm the tapping plate and the plate holding the gasket are spot welded in 8 places under the O-ring groove. Additionally there is a sealant between the two plates. I destroyed so much evidence there is no way to conclude any thing else.

The Motorcraft FL 820S uses a sealant but no welds.

Both of these filters should maintain ADBV function for the duration of the oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back