Carquest Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with this oil? I was in Carquest the other day picking up a serpentine belt for my truck and decided it was about time to do an oil change as well. I usually never buy stuff like oil at Carquest because they're so expensive, but anyway, I found this oil on the shelf and looked on the back and it says it's made by Ashland (Valvoline). So am I to understand this is probably Valvoline SynPower with a slightly weaker add pack? It is still SM GF-4 rated. I went ahead and bought a case along with a Carquest Blue (Wix) filter and changed the oil in the truck. I'll probably run it 6 or 7,000 miles and do a UOA to see how it does. By the way, I picked it up for $3.69 a quart, that's why I bought it....pretty good deal I think if it turns out to be a decent oil.

I'll stick with Pennzoil Platinum for 1.99 to 2.38, since it's a known product, and cheaper. Still, you probably got a good product.

Where are you finding Pennzoil Platinum for 1.99? If you're referring to AAP BOGO, the AAP near me is terrible. They can never keep anything on the shelf, especially motor oil. So I always miss the sales. Also, I'm not interested in stock piling oil, since I have nowhere to keep it. I like to buy it as I need it.

Do you have Big Lot's there? SM/GF-4 Havoline Synthetic is $3.00 Qt. However I dont really think there is anything wrong with the Ashland product. Run it and see!

Quote:

Where are you finding Pennzoil Platinum for 1.99? If you're referring to AAP BOGO, the AAP near me is terrible. They can never keep anything on the shelf, especially motor oil. So I always miss the sales. Also, I'm not interested in stock piling oil, since I have nowhere to keep it. I like to buy it as I need it.

PEP Boys, after rebate. I happen to think filling out a form, sending it in, and waiting a few weeks for the rebate check is worth it. Some people LOATHE the idea....but, I don't feel that delayed gratification is such a hard row to hoe.

I'm in that boat, triple. I sent in a rebate form for a couple of cases of oil at Pep Boys and never received it, called them wondering what the heck was going on, and they told me they wrote down the wrong address and had it returned to them. Never bothered to call me though. They claimed they re-sent it and should be here in a week or two.
smirk.gif

I went to autozone and the dude there was pushing me to buy 5 qts synpower and a fram filter for 17 bucks. check out autozone

I had my experience buying PP at Pep Boys and requesting rebate. I was careful to do everything right, yet they denied it saying "no applicable item selected". The sale had just started. I won't even go in their store anymore. Life is too short for the frustration.

Ashland also makes the house brand motor oils for NAPA stores. They claim it is different from their Valvoline branded products, but are not specific about what the differences are.

About two months ago NAPA had their synthetic on sale for under $3/quart. Generally I don't use house brand oils, but I'm sure it would work fine. I would bet that the Ashland/Carquest and Ashland/NAPA product are most likely the same stuff in different bottles.

Go to a food cannery sometime and you will be amazed how many different labels go onto the exact same cans of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back