Carfax report error correction

Hi, I went to the local Toyota dealership to take a look at trading in my Camry for something bigger than I can haul the kids and the dog. They ran my carfax and it looks like the DMV made a mistake stating that the odometer mileage is incorrect. Seems this mistake was made when I registered the car last year, I bought it brand new.

Has anyone encountered a error in their Carfax report and had to get it corrected? Just wanted to see anybody’s experience as well as what kind of timeline I’m looking at for the report to get updated. Thank you

Last edited:
In all honesty this happens on a lot of cars with their car fax reports. Often time service centers put the wrong mileage too. Is the dealer giving you a hassle? If they are then they are just trying to low ball you further.

Happened to me when selling my father in laws '03 Dodge Dakota after he passed. Tried to wholesale it to a friend to works at a used car lot. Had a price worked out and ready to write me a check. He decided to pull a Carfax. "Mileage discrepancy" popped up. Apparently 12 years before that a service writer entered the wrong mileage during a routine service. The mileage went from around 30k to 80k and back down to 30 something on the next OC. One one noticed. Even moved back to Kentucky....no one noticed.

When it popped up on the Carfax my buddy had to back off his offer. He said with a mileage discrepancy he couldn't even buy it from me. Didn't want the headache....even though we both knew it was probably just a clerical error.

For the heck of it, I made one phone call to the DMV in Indiana and they were ZERO help and acted like they could do nothing.

I ended up selling it to a mechanic for quite a bit less.

Happened to my dad, he went in for a state inspection on a 15 year old Cadillac Cimarron with 033xxx miles but the mechanic keyed the computer at 133xxx. Yes the car had a 6-digit odometer!

It had absolutely no effect on the resale value, though. ;)

For the heck of it, I made one phone call to the DMV in Indiana and they were ZERO help and acted like they could do nothing.
I'm not sure what you were expecting. They have nothing to do with carfax. It's a private company and it wasn't their error. Nothing is what I expect them to do.

I'm not sure what you were expecting. They have nothing to do with carfax. It's a private company and it wasn't their error. Nothing is what I expect them to do.
That was on the suggestion of my friend. Because I would need to get some kind of verification from Indiana in order to bring to my DMV to begin the process of unraveling it. It even said something to that effect on the actual CarFax report

That was on the suggestion of my friend. Because I would need to get some kind of verification from Indiana in order to bring to my DMV to begin the process of unraveling it. It even said something to that effect on the actual CarFax report
Unraveling what? Carfax isn't official. It's just a flag that there appears to be a mileage discrepancy. I don't think the DMV would have it flagged that way, only if the title or state inspection had it flagged that way. As many people rely on carfax for reports, that flag would just scare potential buyers away, but the DMV probably didn't have it flagged as having any mileage problem.

Unraveling what? Carfax isn't official. It's just a flag that there appears to be a mileage discrepancy. I don't think the DMV would have it flagged that way, only if the title or state inspection had it flagged that way. As many people rely on carfax for reports, that flag would just scare potential buyers away, but the DMV probably didn't have it flagged as having any mileage problem.
Official or not...the dealership that was going to buy the vehicle from me completely washed their hands of it once they found out. So a CarFax report carries a lot of weight these days

My truck that I traded in showed 4 dealer oil changes/service events. I laughed because I never take my vehicles to the dealer for OCI's/service. So don't believe everything you see on Carfax stuff.

Official or not...the dealership that was going to buy the vehicle from me completely washed their hands of it once they found out. So a CarFax report carries a lot of weight these days
Yes, but that has nothing to do with the DMV. Just like reviews are important to businesses, there's no government control over reviews posted.

When it popped up on the Carfax my buddy had to back off his offer. He said with a mileage discrepancy he couldn't even buy it from me. Didn't want the headache....even though we both knew it was probably just a clerical error.

I ended up selling it to a mechanic for quite a bit less.

Sounds like maybe the truck wasn’t in as good of condition than what your wholesaler friend thought initially and used the mileage discrepancy as his excuse. All the car dealers that I’ve dealt with only car about if the Carfax is clean, meaning no reported accidents. Reported accidents usually bring the value of the car down obviously. Inconsistent odometer readings don’t bring the value of a car down. If a car dealer gives you a hassle about it it’s because they either don’t want want your trade (a beat up clunker, or a car that won’t make them enough money), or they want to throw you the “mileage discrepancy” bone hoping you will play along and then they offer you less money. Car dealers are super shady. Not all of them, but a good majority of them don’t care about you.

Hearing this mAkers me want to run a car fax on mine......

Unless something has changed, my experience with CarFax in Michigan was not impressive. My last 2 vehicles had major dealer accident damage repairs ($10,000+) that never showed up on CarFax.

Unless something has changed, my experience with CarFax in Michigan was not impressive. My last 2 vehicles had major dealer accident damage repairs ($10,000+) that never showed up on CarFax.
Same here. No issues reported on carfax but it was in the autocheck. I knew about it anyway because I could tell just from looking. Data is only as accurate as whoever puts it in and if it's not entered, it's not to be found.

they want to throw you the “mileage discrepancy” bone hoping you will play along and then they offer you less money. Car dealers are super shady. Not all of them, but a good majority of them don’t care about you.

And they'll take that clunker with its dirty carfax and put it on the HBPH lot... or even their real lot, hoping that if 9 prospective buyers skip it, the 10th won't.

Repos are clean car faxes, and boy have I been surprised when I've bought a couple the next state over. Since it wasn't my home state, they gave me the title and affadavit of reposession. If I had them run the title like an in-state sale, or, worse, financed, I'd have never ever known.

Or the accident that happened to my Cobalt. :-O The only good thing about that is that I got to see the repair firsthand (car was bought from family) Kinda scary when you think about it.....

Back