Carfax is Useless

Wow. I thought the price point was low. Didn't know we had any Fabrique en Chine cars other than certain Volvos being sold stateside.

FORGET THIS BUICK TRASH CAN THEN!

- not Kidding, Ken

As you type this post on something made in China :whistle:

The ideal buyer doesn't want your carfax, they want a physically clean car and the story that it "never needed anything" outside of routine maintenance, which they will poorly define in their head.

Having a stack of receipts will scare them away. There's a reason dealers throw them out.

If you do find that nerdy guy who appreciates your receipts, he will call you at three in the morning when the ashtray light burns out, six months later. I would volunteer receipts if asked but not before, it presents as a psychological bonus when the prospective buyer inquires.

I think VIP Tire reports to carfax, they do a maddening amount of paperwork for a simple state inspection. I suspect carfax pays them a pittance for this data.

A carfax is never going to tell the whole story. I've seen that with the many ex-rentals I've purchased over the years. My recently purchased repaired salvage vehicle says nothing about that on the carfax.

I do like the carfax app for keeping my own personal maintenance records. It's wonderful for that.

Or hire a mechanic to do a ‘bumper to bumper’ fine tooth comb inspection.
Even if he's a very competent mechanic he probably isn't an expert auto body guy that can spot prior bodywork fixes,repainted panels etc. Need another expert for that.😂

Carfax should really only be used to rule cars out, not to make affirmative decisions about a purchase. Case in point: A dude in a Fiat changed lanes without quite clearing the front of my Canyon, so there was $1,200 I fixed out of pocket rather than getting insurance involved. Carfax has no idea. Granted, it's no big deal to the integrity of the truck that a small dent in the fender got popped out and a portion of the fender and bumper got painted. But when people fix more serious structural or suspension issues on their own, that can be a problem for the next owner, and Carfax will be of no help.

Reactions: GON
A carfax is never going to tell the whole story. I've seen that with the many ex-rentals I've purchased over the years. My recently purchased repaired salvage vehicle says nothing about that on the carfax.

I do like the carfax app for keeping my own personal maintenance records. It's wonderful for that.

Carfax failing to list a salvage title is very concerning.

I recently acquired a 14 Mercedes E350 Cab. Of course I looked at the Carfax report but so many things made no sense. The ID plate on the car stated it was manufactured in Jan 2014. Carfax stated it was sold in early Feb. 2014 in Virginia. No way that car gets from Germany to Va in less than a month. I ran the vin and it was released in June 14. Carfax shows 2 dealer services where they changed the oil. Other listed services show checking something for the owner like trim etc. The car has 71k on it and all services were at the selling dealer. I visited a different dealer with the vin. They pulled it up and found that it had been fully serviced per MB schedule every 10k at the dealer. That means everything from Differential to transmission fluid changes. Brake fluid everything by the book. This was a 1 owner car. So not only were the services not reported or recorded by carfax, but what they did was not reported. MB is famous for just reporting 10k service with no details but in reality they check the car over thoroughly. They even lubricate seals. I feel like I have a really good vehicle that looks and runs like new. I even got it for a really good price because it a convertible, it's winter and the car was on the lot for about 3 months.
No thanks to Carfax!
This isn't Carfax's fault. Unfortunately only 2/3 of dealerships about from what I've been told actually report issues or services. When I sold vehicles for a VW we had a potential customer come in to look at Trading his BMW 3 series. I and another sales associate took it for a spin. It drove perfectly. Come to find out he said that he had hit a deer at a nice clip. There was zero damage and everything lined up perfectly.

Wow. I thought the price point was low. Didn't know we had any Fabrique en Chine cars other than certain Volvos being sold stateside.

FORGET THIS BUICK TRASH CAN THEN!

- not Kidding, Ken
Buick exist as a brand for China GM not the US. They can’t kill it here for reputation there.

I was comfortable buying my used vehicles with all dealer services listed and they have lasted. No accidents is true on my current 2015 Pilot however previous 2007 Acura MDX blatant miss or the owner “knew a guy” who did cruddy auto body on the cheap.

Ever since computers became mainstream for personal use , it was always understood that data out was only as good as data in . That still holds true today . Let the buyer beware , trust but verify , and so on . ;)

Back