Careful when in a Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of the people I know that used to be addicted started doing drugs "for fun".

Maybe fun is the wrong word. I think "taking drugs for pleasure" is a better phrase than "taking drugs for fun." I don't understand how meth and heroin can be fun but I can see how they're pleasurable. The only other another reason to do drugs other than to escape reality is the temporary energy you can get from Cocaine. I agree that the dealers should go to jail but the abusers shouldn't get off so easily either. I've never come across a dealer that has ever forced anybody to take anything. It was always "hey, do you have more of [drug]?

IMO the first step for the solution would be trying to figure out who genuinely needs and wants help. Like you stated, there are people that do come across slumps in life where they feel that nobody can understand and help them, so they turn to drugs. Those folks I will help. I won't help the folks on the other extreme end that need narcan after narcan, weekend after weekend.

Last edited:
I've stayed in that hotel.

If I find out that a hotel is hosting the homeless, I won't step foot in the place. The troubles are endless and awful. What happens is inappropriate to discuss with the polite company here. Imagine the worst, and then know that it is much worse than that. The residents are homeless because they are defective and as such, a sizable portion of them take pleasure in great mayhem. Much of which involves things that can get you very sick.

I wonder how many of those zombies were a direct result of piece of crap doctors over prescribing pain pills for simple things like Pink Eye ?

Rx:
Antibiotic eye drops
100 OxyContin pills for the pain, refill 3X if necessary

If I find out that a hotel is hosting the homeless, I won't step foot in the place. The troubles are endless and awful. What happens is inappropriate to discuss with the polite company here. Imagine the worst, and then know that it is much worse than that. The residents are homeless because they are defective and as such, a sizable portion of them take pleasure in great mayhem. Much of which involves things that can get you very sick.
Really? Are you or ever have been defective for a short period of time? Mad? Temper? etc., Should there be "special hotels" for those trying to make their way back in to society? Do you do anything to help "defective" people? Or do you just past judgment?

Update! There were called homeless in the police statement because they have no know addresses as per police. There transient moving from state to state. Last known location was in Georgia from a recent arrest there.

Really? Are you or ever have been defective for a short period of time? Mad? Temper? etc., Should there be "special hotels" for those trying to make their way back in to society? Do you do anything to help "defective" people? Or do you just past judgment?
I don't have answers to the problems, sorry. I do know that a "judgement call" is prudent in all aspects of life. Within reasonable tolerances, I avoid trouble spots.

I suppose I should have mentioned that I stay in hotels more than half the year and I've done so since 1987. I typically post about rental cars or powerplant related topics. My hotel experiences are equally valid. So I will state it differently. Being safe during your travels includes avoiding certain areas, and certain hotels. Reducing the argument to something like "Central Park is safe at night because Mark goes there regularly to jog at night" is invalid, as it ignores the facts. Hotels that house the homeless are highly correlated with unsatisfactory conditions.

My parents live on the road directly next to this hotel. I had to keep passing the long line of police cars from multiple towns, sherrifs, state troopers, swat, and atf. Traffic was jammed up a little but they handled it well.

A lot of drug addicts that are on the street are veterans that were abandoned by the system. Just like other homeless and drug addicts, we should be trying to remediate the problem and treat it as a disease and failing of the system, not as a "personal responsibility" problem. Imagine if smallpox or polio had been treated as "personal responsibility" questions.

The problem with this way of thinking is that it basically defaults to "we can't immediately solve every possible challenge or problem so we might as well do nothing at all" which is how nothing ever changes. Just telling homeless people to not be homeless, or telling drug addicts to not be addicted are not solutions. Is providing injection sites, clean drugs and needles a fix to the problem? No, but it is an attempt at harm reduction which is at least doing something. Are there additional steps that need to happen to actually help these people get better? Yes, of course. But that's hard so people prefer to just complain about homeless people and drug addicts while simultaneously doing nothing to fix it. As I said, it's pretty much impossible to get a job if you're a drug addict or homeless. I'm not sure exactly how these folks are expected to "take personal responsibility".

Give me a daggone break man...

You nor I can fix anyone.....

And we aren't fixing people with magical clean needles or giving them drugs to inject with. That is only feeding the problem.

My father drank A LOT..... Drove drunk A LOT...

I could not fix him or save him... Not could my mom or sisters...

It was his decision... His choices....

You can't spell responsibility.... Without a I....

And don't try to preach to me man...

You weren't there when with tears in my eyes I held the hand of a lady desperately addicted to street drugs... And I took 15 to 20 minutes that I did NOT have that evening to talk with her and hold her hand... Convincing her to stay in that hospital that evening and that night.

I did that because.... She mattered to someone... She could have been someone's daughter, mother sister or Aunt... I did that because her having any chance of getting better meant her staying in that hospital.

I been in the trenches man.... I know how I treat and think of people...

I also know.... We can't save them if they never ever ever take personal responsibility for their choices.

Exactly. Knowing your surroundings beforehand and being aware is top priority.

I have a friend that worked in downtown Seattle. She knows all too well about the dangers. She knows coworkers that have gotten sick from second hand drug smoke.

Let's say a man has heart disease. He drives to the store and has a heart attack during the drive. Should we charge him with a crime? Most would say No, and I agree. Now, an alcoholic also drives to the store while drunk. Should we charge him with DUI? If his alcoholism is truly "just like any other disease", how can you justify punishing him for the results? If you say that he should be charged, then how can you NOT charge the heart attack victim?

It's pretty clear that there is a clear distinction between addiction and disease.

Let's say a man has heart disease. He drives to the store and has a heart attack during the drive. Should we charge him with a crime? Most would say No, and I agree. Now, an alcoholic also drives to the store while drunk. Should we charge him with DUI? If his alcoholism is truly "just like any other disease", how can you justify punishing him for the results? If you say that he should be charged, then how can you NOT charge the heart attack victim?

It's pretty clear that there is a clear distinction between addiction and disease.

Your post does lead to some thinking.

My wife is currently prohibited by the state from driving for 5 more months. She had a couple of "episodes", not sure if they are fully diagnosed as seizures or not, but nothing since. She basically blacked out, was non-responsive to on-going conversation twice in a period of 3 hours one day, we took her to the ER. All testing has been clear since. Nothing has presented itself. But I guess since a doctor has had to make a diagnosis (to get paid), she has a seizure diagnosis and therefore is prohibited from driving for 6 months.

If she does not have any more episodes and the doctor feels he can clear her, she will be allowed to drive again.

Heart attack? I'm pretty sure no government agency will put any law on the books charging anyone who has one. Politicians don't like making laws that could bite them.

What kinda ticks me off is that my wife is strictly prohibited from driving but someone with a DUI isn't, will be punished less and seems to suffer hardly anything financially. Same with people playing on the phone. Georgia has TWO laws against using your phone while driving. Neither are enforced. But my wife can't drive...

Your post does lead to some thinking.

My wife is currently prohibited by the state from driving for 5 more months. She had a couple of "episodes", not sure if they are fully diagnosed as seizures or not, but nothing since. She basically blacked out, was non-responsive to on-going conversation twice in a period of 3 hours one day, we took her to the ER. All testing has been clear since. Nothing has presented itself. But I guess since a doctor has had to make a diagnosis (to get paid), she has a seizure diagnosis and therefore is prohibited from driving for 6 months.

If she does not have any more episodes and the doctor feels he can clear her, she will be allowed to drive again.

Heart attack? I'm pretty sure no government agency will put any law on the books charging anyone who has one. Politicians don't like making laws that could bite them.

What kinda ticks me off is that my wife is strictly prohibited from driving but someone with a DUI isn't, will be punished less and seems to suffer hardly anything financially. Same with people playing on the phone. Georgia has TWO laws against using your phone while driving. Neither are enforced. But my wife can't drive...
I can honestly say when driving I see MORE people on the phones and texting than NOT!

Sorry to hear...that's a tough situation, for sure.

Substance abuse is a huge problem; on that we can agree. We did not get this way overnight and we will not change overnight.
Recovery success is rare; very low. It is a lifetime illness and process. I believe I was alcoholic long before my 1st drink.

By the way, most alcoholics and addicts are not homeless.
If you have the same problem I have, I wish you luck. There is recovery.

Recovery is not for those who need it.
Recovery is not for those who want it.
Recovery is for those who work it.

Substance abuse is a huge problem; on that we can agree. We did not get this way overnight and we will not change overnight.
Recovery success is rare; very low. It is a lifetime illness and process. I believe I was alcoholic long before my 1st drink.

By the way, most alcoholics and addicts are not homeless.
If you have the same problem I have, I wish you luck. There is recovery.

Recovery is not for those who need it.
Recovery is not for those who want it.
Recovery is for those who work it.
Keep coming back,it works if you work it is one of the sayings in AA.

I'll never understand sending your 18 year old kid to a college in an urban area. Never Understand.

If you don't know what goes on in a large city, I don't care what "area", go find out. Go park at some public transportation hub, buy a ride/ticket to the station near wherever you think is safe and spend 18 hours walking around.
You do understand 18 year olds can be native to urban areas?
Some like myself were born and raised
Guess I shouldn't go to college 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back